MSI B450 A Pro will not post

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got around to firing this new build up.

MSI B450 A Pro
16gb Flare X 3200
Ryzen 2600X with Prism cooler
Seasonic M12II Evo 620w

Should be 100% rock solid compatible yet I initially got the CPU light.

Now I reseated the cpu and got rid of the AMD goo TIM which took care of the CPU light. now it just will not post.

A very tiny amount of the AMD goo got onto a couple of pins at the very base upon removal and I couldn't get them 100% clean without damaging the pins. they are clean and straight where it matters. I don't think it is the issue, but it did bother me that I can't clean it all..

I've tried every other SOP for no post/ test solutions to no avail. Short of biosflash+ a newer bios, should I just get a new motherboard?

I just got around to firing this new build up.

MSI B450 A Pro
16gb Flare X 3200
Ryzen 2600X with Prism cooler
Seasonic M12II Evo 620w

Should be 100% rock solid compatible yet I initially got the CPU light.

Now I reseated the cpu and got rid of the AMD goo TIM which took care of the CPU light. now it just will not post.

A very tiny amount of the AMD goo got onto a couple of pins at the very base upon removal and I couldn't get them 100% clean without damaging the pins. they are clean and straight where it matters. I don't think it is the issue, but it did bother me that I can't clean it all..

I've tried every other SOP for no post/ test solutions to no avail. Short of biosflash+ a newer bios, should I just get a new motherboard?
Are you using one stick of ram to test?

yup. And depending on power on, it now ends up either with no cpu light, a VGA cpu light or a boot cpu light.. The graphics card is a GTX 1070 pulled from a working computer. Tested/ gaming 1 day before. And just about any hard drive or ssd it has an issue with. I originally built it with a 240gb Kingston A400 M.2 but that is removed as well for time being. Just trying old ssd's and hard drives

So just from the sounds of it, it wouldn't boot when you first put it together. Are all the parts new with the exception of the gpu?

(sons rig is a b450a pro with 2700x and super old/cheap Hynix ram)

yup. CPU light at first. all new except video card. But Flare X is on the supported list for the mobo, the Seasonic PSU is brand new.

I'm trying a flashback to the latest non 3000 series bios.

And if anyone is wondering. the $4 ONN branded 16gb from walmart seems to work just fine

Take the parts out of the case and build it up minimum on a table etc. and see what happens.

Look for an extra standoff under board.

I verified all the standoffs went to holes in the board. I can take it off but I don't think it's the issue

Really check those pins with a magnifying glass and make sure they are straight and clean.

I actually did. perfectly straight. The only issue is the very small amount of AMD TIM goo on 2 of the pins from removing the cooler for the first time. That stuff squeezed out everywhere. It's only at the very base of the cpu on the cpu. . I cleaned it as best I can but it's still there. If I clean it any harder it will damage the pins. Had I known that stuff was THAT nasty I would have applied MX4 from the start..

I updated the bios successfully via flashback but still nothing. Putting the M.2 sata drive back in resulted in a Boot light, but not after second boot/ after clearing cmos..

I'm ready to just buy a new mobo. pretty sure it won't be the processor but it's one or the other, and mobo is cheaper.. coming from an X58 system, I don't have any other test hardware

I actually did. perfectly straight. The only issue is the very small amount of AMD TIM goo on 2 of the pins from removing the cooler for the first time. That stuff squeezed out everywhere. It's only at the very base of the cpu on the cpu. . I cleaned it as best I can but it's still there. If I clean it any harder it will damage the pins. Had I known that stuff was THAT nasty I would have applied MX4 from the start..

I updated the bios successfully via flashback but still nothing. Putting the M.2 sata drive back in resulted in a Boot light, but not after second boot/ after clearing cmos..

I'm ready to just buy a new mobo. pretty sure it won't be the processor but it's one or the other, and mobo is cheaper.. coming from an X58 system, I don't have any other test hardware

Did you have another psu to test with? I can see why replacing any of the other parts would be difficult since the last rig you have is as old as it was.

I have an EVGA 500BR in another computer I could test. Would be weird having a DOA seasonic though

I ordered an Aorus B450M.. I re seated the CPU to get a cpu light. I'll probably order a R3 1200 as a tester too. If all else fails I'll upgrade old reliable ( T3500 ) to Win 10 and call it a day. I'm knee deep in a boat building project and really don't have the diagnosis time.

Did Tim get into the socket?
I’ve had bad seasonic psus.
1700x and 2600 have fired up with Corsair 16gb 3200 dimms no problem.

if the 2nd cpu is inserted, pulled, and Tim is on it can you return the mobo?

Last edited:
there was some tim on the socket I cleaned up this time but Im not going to pull the socket cover and dig deeper to clean it, and some more on the pins due to removal. I got the CPU clean enough and pins are straight, but I suspect the board is done for. If it wasn't, it is now.. It's well past the return period and I'm not going to mess with an RMA at this point. I'm pretty sure I had dead mobo from the start

I'll hook the new mobo up with the EVGA 500BR as a test bench, and if it works there I'll move it in with the Seasonic PSU where if it does not, I'll know why. But I used a DVOM to check voltages with everything unplugged which seemed ok.

Remove the board from the case and set on shoe box .. check you power switch control leads as some use 3 pin connector with only 2 leads and board is made for tight 2 pin connector .. also unhook any add on usb connections to board like your front case usb ports as it may be grounding out your board ..

I use 90% alcohol on coffee filter wet and drag it around those pins careful with edge of wet filter .. clean a razor with it also and drag light and keeping it wet as I just had to clean a 1600 and one of my 3600 as tim rolled over and down to pins when removing it .. but I am using it as I type and no issues as it was 3 rolls of pin deep .

Last edited:
Upon removing the CPU, it came off with the cooler and twisted multiple pins. I discarded everything that could be the issue. motherboard would reject RMA due to TIM in the pins, and the CPU with bent pins was a no go as well, so I discarded both, and set aside the Seasonic PSU..

I now have the B450 Aorus M mobo, and a Ryzen 1200.. all working fine. I won't use the 1200 long. I'm gonna go Ryzen 3000 like I wanted to from the start. a R5 3600 most likely.

tim in the socket shouldn't ben an issue. most tim is non-conductive. and you can use an mechanical pencil to bent the pins back

perhaps, but I was done diagnosing and have a working computer now. I kept the 2600X so I might try to fix it. but doubtful. I wanted a 3600 in the first place but cought a good deal on the 2600x.

has to be frustrating to trash a new motherboard and processor due to a screw up. then again that is life.

nice to see you have a setup working now. I like MX-4 myself and I use that with my R5 2400G processor parked on an X470 board

has to be frustrating to trash a new motherboard and processor due to a screw up. then again that is life.

nice to see you have a setup working now. I like MX-4 myself and I use that with my R5 2400G processor parked on an X470 board
been saving that first post eh?!

One of the 2 were at fault from the beginning. I'm more or less happy that something is working, and had even forgot about the costs of the parts.. all in all, it was about $230ish. Not worth the hassle trying to RMA, and wait.

So now that I have a rock solid build. I have some theories on what went wrong with the old build...

The Fractal case I came to realize was a piece of garbage. it just looked nice. I think a few standoffs went in crooked due to not being tapped correctly ect. I did not mention it, but I eliminated that case too. The system is now built in a Rosewill FBM-01 which is literally the cheapest case available but I kind of like it.
I liked it more than more expensive cases. Rosewill makes the same basic case with different front panels but I liked the FBM-01 the best
I think a possibility on where the motherboard might have gotten broken was the Wraith Prism cooler I used ( factory cooler from a 3700x ). It went together way too tight and I suspect it damaged some connections.. On this new build, I used the NIB Spire cooler from the 2600x that I had and it's keeping that 1200 nice and cool..

I've decided to go 3700X and I will retain the 2600X Wraith Spire cooler. Since I'm not planning on overclocking it should do just fine. I'll bump the fan curve.

Ontop of everything, I even got my Dell Powervault 110T ( IBM LTO3 external tape drive ) working off my 29320LPE adapter set in the lower PCIEx16 slot. I forced the Windows 7 driver and it all plays nice

ended up snagging a R5 3600 for $177 via Ebay newegg using some ebay bucks and a discount code. since I live in NY I couldn't get around the tax, but the savings were enough the final cost was only $190

The 2600x Spire cooler should keep it cool enough and not have to worry about thermals vs, the 3700x.. The R3 1200 is benchmarking very close to what my W3680 overclocked to 4.0 ghz would do in firestrike and games. So the 3600 I know will let the 1070 run

Back