MSI and Asus really need to improve their shopping sites...

c3k

2[H]4U
Folks,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. For grins and giggles, I'm looking at MSI and Asus. I have a list of specs I'd like my new laptop to have, but it's friggin' impossible to shop on their websites. WTH???

15.6" screen, IPS, 1080 (or higher) resolution
SSD (easily replaceable/upgradable)
970 class gpu
i5/i7 processor

The biggest issue is the naming conventions: "The Gamer Conqueror Q76T!" which, as we all know, is far below the "Ultimate Traveler Red 77", but only if you opt for the unadvertised ram upgrade.

Talk about putting obstacles between the customer and your product...

Is there a site where I can shop which would make it easy to filter out what I don't want?

Thanks,

Ken

Well, Amazon does allow you to switch back and forth between similar models in a class of laptops, using that little filter setting at the bottom, and you can always just plug in the search for specific components on amazon as well to get to the desired setup.

I do agree that the build names are horrendous, though. They really should be marketing more with an actual name. Send a message to their marketing tea about it.

Nah. The first thing you need to do is select the friggin' marketing branch. Do I want a GL? Maybe a GE? WTF?!?! I don't know what an effing GE is, so how would I choose that over or under a GL? Asus is the same.

Cute little names...with no link to anything a consumer can use.

Forget their sites... they need to work on their shitty customer support. I don't know about MSI, but ASUS customer support is pure trash (from my experience).

Yeah, I'm torn. I'd like a mobile computer (just like the forum title, ;) ), but I'm torn about trying to get a gaming rig. I'm using an ancient Asus 1215n from their eee line. It's a great little 12" screen, good for web browsing and typing. It's been asking me for permission to die. It's that far gone. I'd like a moderate gaming rig with a 15.6" screen (max), and the usual "wants" in something like that. Battery life is important, and I don't have to play cutting edge games at 60fps. (Games that are about 2-3 years old would be nice at 40-60 fps.)

Hardware-wise, I'd like an i5 or i7, at least 8GB of RAM (preferably 16GB), a dedicated gpu, and an SSD (NVMe would be nice) of 500GB. Battery life is important. Expandability is also desired. It shouldn't be too hard to find something like that with a $1,000 to $1,500 budget. But I don't have time to try to figure out obscure codes to find out which computer fits my needs.

If I can't find what I want in a gaming laptop, I'm leaning towards a Lenovo Carbon X1 (or do they call it "X1 Carbon"? Shrug.) 14" screen, slim, light, long lasting for document work and web browsing.

Ken

Back