MSI Afterburner video memory usage

samuelmorris

Supreme [H]ardness
Been using the Afterburner OSD for a couple of days (now it actually works), but am concerned by how much video memory it reports - it's higher than I would have anticipated, and often well exceeds 2GB - is it summing the memory usage from both cards at once, bugged, or neither? :rolleyes:

I'm on beta 2.1 Beta 8, does that have vram usage available in the OSD? If so I'll try it. BTW, What games are you showing more than 2GB of usage in? If it's definitely not a scenario where you would run out of memory I'm gonna assume it's detecting the vram of each card separately so if that's the case divide by 2 with whatever you see. Your gaming on a single screen @ 25x16 if I remember correctly so you shouldn't be exceeding 2GB unless it's battlefield 3.

2700MB in Orcs must die. Haven't tested it in afterburner yet but Red Faction guerilla showed 2GB maxed out. Both of these seem unlikely to use that much video memory... I'm assuming it's reading both cards too and am working on the assumption I can halve it per card.

Okay I'm back, showing over 3670mb used in Stalker Complete (SOC mod) in eyefinity which means over 1500MB which doesn't seem 100% right, I don't think it's catching the shared memory between the 2 cards.

If I use GPU-Z and have it log my memory usage to a text file it shows more vram usage in dedicated and shared, which is more accurate as I actualy do run out of vram at times in that game and my fps crashes for a second. GPU-Z does reflect that and afterburner does not.

I'm trying to find the right settings to keep vram from running out currently.

According to Afterburner beta 8 the most it seems to show me using is something like 1836 per gpu, It seems to me it's only measuring dedicated vram as that's right on point with what gpu-z shows me for dedicated only.

I'm a long-time user of MSI Afterburner but just tried having it monitor my VRam usage for the first time.

Something is up, because just in WoW sitting in a main city is showing almost 2500MB VRam usage. The only option it has for memory usage monitoring is "GPU1 memory usage" but it seems like it's either showing combined usage between the 4 GPUs or just throwing out a wild figure.

Yeah it reads the total, not the amount for GPU1 - this seems obvious by the fact that there is no option to measure the usage of any GPUs other than 1.

this seems obvious by the fact that there is no option to measure the usage of any GPUs other than 1.

Well I assumed the reason was because usage should be basically the same for multiple GPUs in crossfire - no point in measuring all of them just to report the same value. 2.5 out of 4GB is not too bad then I guess.

Yeah, that seemed to be the case to me as well. I've seen 2700MB show up with just two cards in games that aren't especially demanding. I was just concerned about the accuracy since Human Revolution shows less than 1GB between them. From hearing other people's reports though, that may actually prove correct. FXAA not MSAA obviously helps enormously.

Back