• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

MSI Afterburner, overclocking

dnottis

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
4,768
I installed the new drivers from ATIs site and lost about 600 points in vantage. Games felt more sluggish too. At the same time I installed the new Afterburner and decided to us it for my overclock and not the ATI CCC overdrive option. My card is already flashed with the ASUS bios so I have more than enough headroom in the drivers now. So, with the card OC'd in Afterburner something wasn't right (I didn't even unlock the overdrive feature at this point as I was only overclocking from MSI Afterburner). I disabled Afterburner and overclocked right through the CCC overdrive CP and amazingly all my benchmarks bounced back to where they were with the last set of drivers with the same OC (1000mhz core, 1300 ram). So after reinstalling drivers and Afterburner a few times I can now confirm that overclocks set within Afterburner are not the same as they are from CCC overdrive CP.

So for anyone wanting to get the most out of their 5870 be sure to use the CCC for your overclock - and if necessary for voltage you can use Afterbuner.

One last thing I didn't test and after all the testing I did do I'm not about to start fucking with this again.... I'm wondering if you don't unlock overdrive in the CCC panel maybe the drivers are will over-ride any over clocking and force stock clocks. Regardless of what you are telling Afterburner to do. Maybe someone else can test this theory. That might be another possibility.
 
hmmm.... I will have to give this a shot when i get home. I noticed I could hit over 21K with an OC but havent been able to hit that sense... but I started using MSI Afterburner for my OC lately. I will test your theory tonight.
 
hmmm.... I will have to give this a shot when i get home. I noticed I could hit over 21K with an OC but havent been able to hit that sense... but I started using MSI Afterburner for my OC lately. I will test your theory tonight.

Did you unlock overdrive in CCC?
 
Does it have to be unlocked in order to OC in MSI Afterburner?

Nope. Afterburner will let you set clocks. But when I benchmarked it my benches were low, games weren't as smooth. I was just thinking it was the drivers. Vantage went from 17,700 to about 16,700. So I reinstall the drivers and Afterburner a few times with the same results. Finally I went into the CCC enabled overdrive, set my clocks to 1000/1300. Went back to Afterburner and bumped my volts to 1180mv and now its working fine again. But before Afterburner was showing the OC even after a reboot, however it wasnt really applying it to the card itself.

Vantage jumped up even higher than with the MSI drivers.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1501741
 
Yeah the MSI drivers gave me my best benchmarks too. I will give CCC a shot tonight and see if I can hit 21K again.
 
I was able to duplicate this with the new drivers as well. Without the Enable ATI Overdrive box checked in the CCC MSI afterburner overclock is ignored.
 
I did mine both ways.. the score was the same. I noticed the 2nd time you run vantage after running it once the score goes up almost 400 points the 2nd time around.
 
same thing is happening with me, even if I touch afterburner my perfomance takes a dip, as long as I overclock through ccc it is fine, but even if I try to go higher on the core clock and leaving memory alone, through CCC and adjust voltage through afterburner I get the same damn problem. the performance goes down again. sometimes I don't open my mouth because when you know what the hell you are doing and try everything you can, and I get an answer that says I am a dumb, lol. I am not overclocking the memory so it is not the error correction kicking in.
 
I did mine both ways.. the score was the same. I noticed the 2nd time you run vantage after running it once the score goes up almost 400 points the 2nd time around.


What bios do you have on yours?

I have the asus one.
 
same thing is happening with me, even if I touch afterburner my perfomance takes a dip, as long as I overclock through ccc it is fine, but even if I try to go higher on the core clock and leaving memory alone, through CCC and adjust voltage through afterburner I get the same damn problem. the performance goes down again. sometimes I don't open my mouth because when you know what the hell you are doing and try everything you can, and I get an answer that says I am a dumb, lol. I am not overclocking the memory so it is not the error correction kicking in.

Make sure the enable overdrive option is checked in CCC, I can set volts in afterburner without a problem. I just need to keep that box ticked for it to work right.
 
yea it was checked, but I just gave up, the performance goes down no matter what voltage I set in afterburner and have ccc overdrive enabled. as soon as I exit afterburner and retain clocks through ccc overdrive and the performance goes back up again.
 
MSI Afterburner causing problems on 5870! i got this same issuee on my 5870s tought is driver problem but guess i was wrong.


http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3315035&postcount=73

Thats strange. I have mine @ 1000/1300 and 1.18v in afterburner. I ran Furmark for about 15 mins and not even a blip. Dead nuts on at 1.182v the entire time. Even ran Crysis benchmark loop for a bit, same thing, not a flux at all. I've got a 1100w PSU though, wonder if it's a PSU issue.
 
I instaled the latest version now i don't have voltage instability i can not tell anymore what is causing my issues still need to experiment, atm i don't have voltage instability or microstuttering this is strange!
 
I instaled the latest version now i don't have voltage instability i can not tell anymore what is causing my issues still need to experiment, atm i don't have voltage instability or microstuttering this is strange!

Installed latest version of what? Afterburner or the Latest Beta 9.11 driver?
 
They are running great. Everything is smooth. The AMD released set for everyone felt slower for me, this set seems very fast though. No problems yet either and I tested about 20 games with them at 1000/1300.
 
They are running great. Everything is smooth. The AMD released set for everyone felt slower for me, this set seems very fast though. No problems yet either and I tested about 20 games with them at 1000/1300.

Awesome. I will give those a try!
 
yes both i still can't find what causing my 2nd gpu to not "wake" (or stay at 0/0 clocks) even after disabling the power saving feature via registry..I can "fix" this after numerous times of enabling and disabling crossfire via drivers.Still its pain in the ass because i have to reboot like 4/5 times start games to test it reboot,test,reboot,test etc and ofcourse enabling/disabling crossfire.The point is even i fix it its only temporary becuase after some time my 2nd card will just stop working and thats it.. go figure!

@ dnottis did you installed all of the options or you left some from the drivers features? i did full install.
 
yes both i still can't find what causing my 2nd gpu to not "wake" (or stay at 0/0 clocks) even after disabling the power saving feature via registry..I can "fix" this after numerous times of enabling and disabling crossfire via drivers.Still its pain in the ass because i have to reboot like 4/5 times start games to test it reboot,test,reboot,test etc and ofcourse enabling/disabling crossfire.The point is even i fix it its only temporary becuase after some time my 2nd card will just stop working and thats it.. go figure!

@ dnottis did you installed all of the options or you left some from the drivers features? i did full install.

That is a weird issue. I never had the 2nd card not work. It would always wake up with ULPS enabled. Did you look for all the EnableULPS registry keys? I have read there can be more then one. Also if the registry keeps resetting it maybe you can export that key and just double click the exported registry to make a quick change? Or even run a batch file on startup that makes the change every reboot.. just some sort of bandaid to get you by.
 
I kinda fixed the issue with option "restore factory defaults" via drivers.

Whenever the issue appears reset to defaults(drivers) &reboot make my 2nd card working,still i got some strange issues of extreme slowdowns at times even after rebooting (tired 3 different games) it was total slideshow like 5 fps. This problem was not fixed even after reboot! Once,again restarting drivers settings to factory defaults solve the issue.I got no idea whats going on but it seems whenever i put some filters in the drivers the problem is starting guess i have to play at defaults settings which sux because i did not bought 2x 5870 for playing w/o maximum IQ I think its driver issue but i'm not sure tbh maybe BIOS flash? Forgot to mention that after restarting/drivers settings the games even scale better then before, because even when both cards work the fps are not stable at all and in some way i can "feel the problem coming" already get used to it how does it show up? usually the game stars start to stutter and then bang total slideshow etc. I strongly recommend to all who got issues to try this "reset to factory defaults option" via drivers it makes the game play much better for me.

Any ideas?
 
I kinda fixed the issue with option "restore factory defaults" via drivers.

Whenever the issue appears reset to defaults(drivers) &reboot make my 2nd card working,still i got some strange issues of extreme slowdowns at times even after rebooting (tired 3 different games) it was total slideshow like 5 fps. This problem was not fixed even after reboot! Once,again restarting drivers settings to factory defaults solve the issue.I got no idea whats going on but it seems whenever i put some filters in the drivers the problem is starting guess i have to play at defaults settings which sux because i did not bought 2x 5870 for playing w/o maximum IQ I think its driver issue but i'm not sure tbh maybe BIOS flash?

Any ideas?

Both your cards the same brand? Have you tried flashing your mobo bios to the latest? Has to be something causing it. Also have you tried a fresh install?
 
I kinda fixed the issue with option "restore factory defaults" via drivers.

Whenever the issue appears reset to defaults(drivers) &reboot make my 2nd card working,still i got some strange issues of extreme slowdowns at times even after rebooting (tired 3 different games) it was total slideshow like 5 fps. This problem was not fixed even after reboot! Once,again restarting drivers settings to factory defaults solve the issue.I got no idea whats going on but it seems whenever i put some filters in the drivers the problem is starting guess i have to play at defaults settings which sux because i did not bought 2x 5870 for playing w/o maximum IQ I think its driver issue but i'm not sure tbh maybe BIOS flash? Forgot to mention that after restarting/drivers settings the games even scale better then before, because even when both cards work the fps are not stable at all and in some way i can "feel the problem coming" already get used to it how does it show up? usually the game stars start to stutter and then bang total slideshow etc. I strongly recommend to all who got issues to try this "reset to factory defaults option" via drivers it makes the game play much better for me.

Any ideas?

where is that option ? I couldn't find it myself..
 
Both your cards the same brand? Have you tried flashing your mobo bios to the latest? Has to be something causing it. Also have you tried a fresh install?


I tried fresh install flashing bios? not i'm on F7 bios for Gigabyte x58 extreme. What i meant was flashing the bios of the cards.

Both cards are sapphire.


where is that option ? I couldn't find it myself..

in CCC, in the options tab, preferences.

EDIT: Big microstuttering! Crysis Warhead..Frozen Paradise level. *UCK IT
 
I heard overclocking is bad, i wouldn't do it....


maybe if your machine is ultra cooled, than maybe - but i've heard of some bad story's from people who lost a good machine for doing it.


:confused:
 
Back
Top