• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

msi 990fxa-gd80v2 max cpu voltage?

Loser_guy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
328
Recently spent the majority of my bitcoin (a couple days before it double in value...) and upgraded to this board since my old budget board was throttling past 4.3ghz on my fx6300.

I'm at 4.5ghz & 1.403v and rock stable with good temps.. but that's as high as the motherboard will let me set the voltage.

I know this chip can handle more voltage than that... will leaving voltage on auto let it go higher than this? Do I possibly need to update the bios?

thanks.
 
I have two of the G-80's, both V2.0, one with a 4350 and the other a 8350 (4350 is cheaper and faster) I have more or less quit OC'ing so I can not say for certain, but my prior experience tells me "Auto" will only go so far. I did not see any BIOS Updates for V2 that say they addressed a voltage issue, but sometimes BIOS change descriptions are a little weak. So it might be worth a shot.

If you are using a earlier G80 then there are several BIOS updates that would be helpful. And 13.3 would be a must if you are using Win 8.
 
woah forgot about this post.

I believe I am running 13.3 already.

strange thing, if I reset the bios, the first boot I can go in and put the voltage at unimaginable levels, but after if I restart it defaults back to auto (won't boot above like 4.0 on auto).

So far having decent luck just using msi control center and bumping the FSB and voltage with it. Seems to hold a steadier voltage too. Vdrop with bios voltage could go as high as .3, seems to stay with .1-.2 with CC.
 
I don't like having to "Work Around" something, but it is more practicable at times. It does say good things about MSI's software, and I have used several UEFI bios lately that I must not be very good at using.
 
Back
Top