MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are in the market for a new AM3+ motherboard, you might want to give this review of the MSI 970 Gaming a look.

Want to build a gaming system on a budget? Then you have to know where to spend your money to get the best bang for the buck. It’s always tempting to go for the flashy, high end motherboards with tons of extra features, but you may find that those extra features don’t buy you much in the way of extra performance. Micro Star International has sent Benchmark Reviews their MSI 970 Gaming motherboard, claiming they’ve gone beyond the specifications of the AMD 970 chipset.

I'm waiting for Zen, or until I just can't stand it anymore and give up and go back to Intel. Yeah I'm an AMD fanboy.

Until then, my "old lady" Phenom II 955 rig @ 4.2ghz will have to keep "limping" along.

Nobody should be paying top dollar for AM3+ motherboards at this point. Even as cheap as the Microcenter bundles are, I have a hard time recommending that to anyone anymore.

The A10 APU's are decent for HTPC and entry level desktop, but xDozer for a "performance" desktop? Nah, not in 2015. Not unless it's ungodly cheap or free.

Oh, a nearly 4 year old chipset! Let me go sharpen my skates so I can skate down to the store to one of these up right now!

Is anyone in the market for a new am3+ mb?

I actually bought an AM3+ system over the holidays. When working on a budget it's hard to argue with an 8-core (oem) CPU, heatsink and motherboard for <$200. More $ left over to spend on the video card.

I'm waiting for Zen, or until I just can't stand it anymore and give up and go back to Intel. Yeah I'm an AMD fanboy..

Same boat, looked at Newegg motherboards and cpus on the Intel side a few weeks back, cringed at the thought of going back to Intel after 15 years. I hope at the very least Carrizo does well in the notebook arena so I can upgrade my 2.5 year old Trinity based A10 laptop to a nicely built HP/MSI/Razer/etc.

If it really is coming to an end, it was definitely fun from the Socket A Thunderbird days through to Kaveri.

Is anyone in the market for a new am3+ mb?

a £100 8320e combined with the new asrock 970 fatality with m.2 for ~£70 would make a thoroughly excellent system which intel really cannot compete with at that price level.

more cores and more m.2 bandwidth.

Back