MSI 970 G4 Gaming bad stuttering/lag in BF4

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey so I have owned my GPU for about a week+ now, and i just got done with a session of BF4, and it was bad. First off the tearing was really bad last night when playing so i turned on VSync (worked), but today when i played in a 64 player match it went from 60FPS to what must have been 5FPS. It was lasting 20-30 seconds at a time (of going suuuper slow) then it would go back to normal for a few seconds.
I eventually quit out, and looked at my MSI Afterburner, well the readout showed my GPU usage and clock (etc) were going from gaming load to basically idle...then back up to gaming load then back down to basically idle.

WTF is happening? I dont suspect its a faulty card, it seems like bad programming...like the card doesn't know its gaming and should stay working as hard as it can continuously until i quit out of the game.
Anyone have experience with this? Can anyone give any advice?

(Btw afterwards i loaded up BF4 again and played an entire 32 player match and my FPS never dropped below 60FPS, so w/e the problem is, its not consistent)

Likely something to do with netcode. If you can't reproduce this in a single player (non-LAN/Internet game) then I would peg it on that..

Likely something to do with netcode. If you can't reproduce this in a single player (non-LAN/Internet game) then I would peg it on that..

Sorry but i dont think so, through some research i am seeing its not just me, and no one else in the server that replied to my public chat question during the match said they were experiencing any lag or stuttering.

Sorry but i dont think so, through some research i am seeing its not just me, and no one else in the server that replied to my public chat question during the match said they were experiencing any lag or stuttering.

maybe they were lagging too bad to reply.

Same video card as you. No issues with BF4 in multiplayer. I even OCed it; but I never had issues previously either. At 1920x1080 and 4x MSAA with all settings maxed out I get a solid 60 frame rates. Even in explosions it never drops below that. Moving up to 1440 with 2x MSAA runs at 60 frame rates in most situations, but some maps (Pearl Market) and certain situations bring the frame rates down to around 45. So I went back to 1080 + 4x MSAA.

Also running a 4670K @ 4GHZ, 8GB RAM. I have it installed on my SSD as well.

maybe they were lagging too bad to reply.

lol.

Yeah...pretty sure it's netcode. I get that you've done research and such, OP - but until you can say this happens in a single player game - it's probably lag.

Try running synthetic benchmarks in a looping mode or something? Unigine Heaven, Valley...3DMark...see if it occurs then?

Same video card as you. No issues with BF4 in multiplayer. I even OCed it; but I never had issues previously either. At 1920x1080 and 4x MSAA with all settings maxed out I get a solid 60 frame rates. Even in explosions it never drops below that. Moving up to 1440 with 2x MSAA runs at 60 frame rates in most situations, but some maps (Pearl Market) and certain situations bring the frame rates down to around 45. So I went back to 1080 + 4x MSAA.

Also running a 4670K @ 4GHZ, 8GB RAM. I have it installed on my SSD as well.

That's a good point - is it installed on your SSD, OP? Maybe your HDD is dying. Loading/etc. can cause stutter. An SSD eliminates a lot of that. Looks like you have plenty of SSD options in your rig, though. *shrug*

I have this same problem with my 980. its weird
i'll go a game or two with smooth framerates and no issues, then later BAM! massive fps drops down to 5 fps. im not overheating at all nor am i maxing out my vram (2.4gigs are used) the stuttering will last about 15 secs then stop then start again. The only time it stops is the moment i die. But once im on the deploy screen the fps will drop again and continue to stay around 5 fps after spawning. I've heard this is an issue with 900 series cards. I never had this problem with my 660 ti that i had before my 980. Turning down the settings to low does nothing to fix this. I dont think its lag or netcode as this only happens in Bf4 and noone else is lagging when this happens.

I am running 980's in SLI and I never came across this issue, including when I had single 980.

It clearly sounds like a server issue, because a bad server with poor hardware and poor bandwidth will slow down your gameplay to a halt,

try loading in 32p servers and check if it runs smoother, most 64p servers in BF4 are not powerful enough to handle the load.

also, don't use the Ultra preset for MP, 4xxaa and high Post AA will slow things down a lot in certain maps like Shanghai.

i have the same card and i haven't seen what you describe. an issue i did encounter though (and this likely isn't your problem) is running MSI Afterburner overlay and Origin chat notifications caused bad stutter. in my case it was consistent stutter though, not the inconsistent stutter you describe. disabling Origin chat and closing Afterburner before i loaded up a game solved it. i figure this is worth a try since it takes 5 seconds to disable those two things.

With the latest patch on BF4 sometimes I had a problem pretty similar to what you guys describe on my last card, an GTX 680 4g. All nice and all playable framerates then next map bam, unplayable. What i've found BF doing was filling my C:/ drive (SSD) (game is installed on a HDD) to the point it was full (small one 120gb). Before this last patch all was well, dunno what they broke in it.

After i got my 970s it sometimes CTD's out of the blue. Repairing the game fixes the problem until it does it again, about once 2 weeks or so.

So while your card may have a problem it may just be BF's problem. As said by others try other benches, games to see what's going on.

I'll chime in that I've run 1x 980, 2x 980, and 3x 980 and have never seen what you are describing. In fact, I'm now running 2x TITAN X and have not seen what you are describing. I received a 970 today, I'll be testing that out this weekend - I won't see what you are describing either. :) Unless, of course, I get a server with lag. BF4 MP is the game I play 95% of the time and my sole reason to go crazy on hardware.

Again - please test out a single player game prior to moving forward with any hypothesis.

i have the same card and i haven't seen what you describe. an issue i did encounter though (and this likely isn't your problem) is running MSI Afterburner overlay and Origin chat notifications caused bad stutter. in my case it was consistent stutter though, not the inconsistent stutter you describe. disabling Origin chat and closing Afterburner before i loaded up a game solved it. i figure this is worth a try since it takes 5 seconds to disable those two things.

I've heard that origin overlay could be the culprit before. And i dont think i have it disabled. I too run afterburner. I might have to try this then. although a mute point now with GTA V out now. i dont really care about BF4 now :D

I've had the same problem with my SLI 560ti's. Same results in Afterburner. Full load to idle to full load to idle.

I exited the game, rebooted and went back in with no issues after. No clue what caused it.

Back