MSI 890FXA-GD65 + Bulldozer OC'ing help

praetorian

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

Anybody using this kind of setup? Am asking cause I cannot seem to get the damn thing to give a stable OC apart from 100mhz over stock and even then its total hit and miss :(

Just looking for advice on what settings to tweak etc as I've looked all over the web and there was a guy on Guru3D that had a similar setup, but with an FX-8120 rather than an FX-6100 that I'm using, and managed to get it overclocked rather heavily :(

Any help would be brilliant as I'm really starting to reconsider using this and jumping to another board on an 990FX platform....

Cheers

Or any general advice on either this board or getting Bulldozer OC'd. Its not like I haven't got the system to do it however I'm used to the older methods of OC'ing, like those on the Athlon II series, rather than FX.

It should be exactly the same, i.e increasing the bus voltage to 240 and then keep increasing by x0.5 on the multipler until it gets unstable at which point increase the volts however that's easier said than done cause touching either of these makes the system unstable.

Hence the general request now :)

YOu have to find stable bus first.
Run multiplier at minimum till you hit the bus sweet spot.

lower everything, Hypertransport clock to the lowest setting, lower ram to DDR3 1066, bump the cpu voltage and raise the HT ref clock(FSB) 10-15 mhz at a time and see where it eventually fails.

Tried what you suggested sirmonkey and the system bombed out and wouldn't even post! Had to do a CMOS reset to get it back up and working.

This is the stupid thing with this board .. you try and raise the voltage and it won't post. Leave it as stock (so auto) and it will get to Windows, login but BSOD under light usage (read Foobar2000 and a single instance of Chrome).

I know its not the PSU cause its a good make, ThermalTake Toughpower XT 675;
I've ran through the RAM today using Memtest to rule that out (considering that there are 4x4gb sticks) but that was clean;
So can only assume that either:
the BIOS I'm using is faulty (v18.7 which is the latest available),
the chip is somehow b0rked (would be tough to do especially since its been stock for most of its life)
the board isn't exactly functioning at 100% or
or its a layer 8 fault (me!).

Another forum told me about LLC however that's not available on this board or any of the MSI range until you get to the 990FX range I believe. I'm tempted to get hold of 990FX board and see if it truly is the board cause I'm confused :(

I'm going to give Stayfr0sty's idea a go of dropping the multi and crank the FSB up but after that I'm at a loss :(

by chance what voltage is the memory running at and what is the memory rated for? i've seen some people have issues with their ram running at 1.55v while most are stable stock clocks once they tried overclocking it would fail. only fix was changing the ram voltage to 1.65v. could try that but its up to you.

YOur ocing the hardway, and it without LLC your results wont be that great. It will be even harder.
You still have to lower all multipliers to find max fsb or bus. Once you have that number you can work.
Use OCCT cpu test on medium data set for fsb testing. Bump it up slowly from 200 to 10 mhz at a time till you find the sweet spot. My board for example maxes out at 280.
I had an nforce 4 board in the past that could do 350. It all depends.

Totally the luck of the draw stayfr0sty and this time, after ten odd years, I've got a difficult one hehe. And that's coming from playing with DFI mobos ;)

Just tried it by dropping the multi's all down to their lowest levels and even that bombed the system out, stupid board. Done post, fine, and then gets to "starting window.. ahh okay gunna reset" which is the same pattern I've been seeing all the time since I've had it, apart from stock.

Got the memory set at what is recommended, so [email protected] which is standard Corsair even relaxed the times right the way down to see if that was the problem and the same resetting occurs.

Tis a very weird board indeed .. a new board is probably in line for this beast

yeah i'd say try to find the first bios msi released that supported that processor and start from there. really sounds like a bios problem at this point.

Back