MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got notice that the Visiontek 3870 I purchased on 11/21/07 from Dell has been delayed . It now has an estimated ship date of 12/17/07. Still no word on the MSI 8800gt I purchased on 11/24 which had an est ship date of 12/10. I guess I'm stuck with this 2600pro for a bit longer.

In general, it looks like Dell underestimated orders or overestimated shipments on video cards listed on their site. They may have better served their customers with a "Back ordered" message instead of the "guesstimate" of "1-2 weeks" which is now proving false. Of course, they probably would've taken a lot less orders in that case, but I wonder what their profit margin is on an 8800GT 512MB being sold for $207.99.

Does anyone have a phone number that will guarantee me that I will speak with someone on this continent?

In general, it looks like Dell underestimated orders or overestimated shipments on video cards listed on their site.
I can't imagine why people think *Dell* is estimating how many cards a manufacturer will ship to them. I know when I worked at retail stores we never estimated anything.

We used the numbers the manufacturers gave us. If they told us we were getting 200 of a product, that's what we planned around.

I can't imagine a sequence of events that would lead *Dell* to guesstimate how many of a product a manufacturer might ship to them.

MSI is the one screwing you guys over. They're not just doing it to Dell, either. The guys at ShopBLT.com have seen MSI continually push back the ship dates. The "arrival" dates keep coming and going with no actual cards showing up on the ETA dates.

You might also want to blame nVidia for not getting the chips out to the manufacturers in enough quantity. But Dell? Dell is used to having manufacturers actually present product on the day they promise to present the product. They sold what MSI said they would have on hand.

First... why do you even care?

The point of this thread is the *hot deal* which is less hot now that the cards are being delivered even later than was estimated on Dell's site.

Second... does MSI manage the shipments for VisionTek, too? Because those cards being sold by Dell are delayed as well.

Obviously... when the cards come from MSI and VisionTek are out of the control of Dell, and it's certainly plausible that both companies provided shipment numbers to Dell and then failed to meet them. That's why I'm saying Dell would have better served their customers with a less specific statement of being backordered instead of the delivery estimate.

First... why do you even care?

The point of this thread is the *hot deal* which is less hot now that the cards are being delivered even later than was estimated on Dell's site.

Second... does MSI manage the shipments for VisionTek, too? Because those cards being sold by Dell are delayed as well.

Obviously... when the cards come from MSI and VisionTek are out of the control of Dell, and it's certainly plausible that both companies provided shipment numbers to Dell and then failed to meet them. That's why I'm saying Dell would have better served their customers with a less specific statement of being backordered instead of the delivery estimate.
Um.

I care because I have one on order. It's the second MSI card I've had on backorder where I've seen MSI fail to actually put the goods in the hand of the retailer on the promised date.

So I'm much more upset with MSI than with Dell.I'm just saying we should give Dell a break. It's not like they're just sitting on a massive pile of MSI cards they don't want to ship to us. Dell isn't the one failing to manufacture the cards. They gave their estimate of an arrival date based on what MSI told them they would ship, and it's clear to me that that MSI shipment didn't happen.

Blame Dell, they should have never taken so many orders.

Simple as that.

What if they only took 20 orders, and still failed to send those orders out because MSI didn't give them the 20 cards they said they'd give them?

What if they only took 20 orders, and still failed to send those orders out because MSI didn't give them the 20 cards they said they'd give them?

What if Santa were black? Would it be called kuanzmas?

A whole bunch of if are possible my friend, doesn't make it relevant.

They took the orders, with none on hand. They explicitly put an estimated date of 1-2 weeks, not 1-2 months. I'm going with the information that THEY gave me under the purchase contract (yes, any sale is a contract).

Under their own terms they get a big ass FAIL.

Seems like a merely academic argument and "blame" seems pointless. But I suppose both companies may leave a bad taste in our mouth. Anyway... back to my opinion... I think that the wording of "Usually ships in 1-2 weeks" gives the impression to the consumer that there is a normal, cyclical purchase and sale of the specific product, when really this was a pre-order based on a shipment promise from MSI. MSI can be blamed for not coming through, but Dell offered up a pre-sale as a direct order, and should still be accountable for failing to deliver their own promised products. Of course, we the consumers, can only vote with our wallets, so the best we can do is cancel and take our dollar elsewhere - again if the profit margin at $208 is low, that might mean much to Dell's bottom line... and since many will leave these orders active until the street price of an 8800GT 512MB drops much closer to this price... we won't be sending any message at all.

I just got an email, delayed for another week to the 17th of December (MSI version).... but online it still shows estimated order ship date to be today....

As the new dates are spread out it could (hopefully) be an indication that they will actually ship some at some point.

Regardless, I'm going to contact their support to get the shipping address changed or the shipping upgraded, cause I'm not gonna be living here after the 20th, so this delay puts me in a somewhat awkward place. I just hope that this is the final delay, one more and I'm canceling.

What if Santa were black? Would it be called kuanzmas?

A whole bunch of if are possible my friend, doesn't make it relevant.

They took the orders, with none on hand. They explicitly put an estimated date of 1-2 weeks, not 1-2 months. I'm going with the information that THEY gave me under the purchase contract (yes, any sale is a contract).

Under their own terms they get a big ass FAIL.

My point is that it's hard to blame Dell for taking orders for a product the manufacturer told them would be there on 12/10.

Seems like a merely academic argument and "blame" seems pointless. But I suppose both companies may leave a bad taste in our mouth. Anyway... back to my opinion... I think that the wording of "Usually ships in 1-2 weeks" gives the impression to the consumer that there is a normal, cyclical purchase and sale of the specific product, when really this was a pre-order based on a shipment promise from MSI. MSI can be blamed for not coming through, but Dell offered up a pre-sale as a direct order, and should still be accountable for failing to deliver their own promised products. Of course, we the consumers, can only vote with our wallets, so the best we can do is cancel and take our dollar elsewhere - again if the profit margin at $208 is low, that might mean much to Dell's bottom line... and since many will leave these orders active until the street price of an 8800GT 512MB drops much closer to this price... we won't be sending any message at all.

I agree.

But the consumer DOES have a voice if you no one complains then nothing gets resolved. No one will fix a problem that doesn't get attention. Call them, demand they honor their contract.
You made an agreement with DELL not MSI, Dell needs to address your needs and MSI needs to deal with Dell. I don't care about the later, my agreement was with Dell, it was not honored, I did call and demanded a delivery date. At least I got free next day delivery.

I don't care who is to be blamed all I know is that I made a deal with Dell and they didn't honor it.

Me too! Woot! Its like we are playing White Elephant with Dell!!!!

Ordered on 24th. I dont know why im posting this...i just feel like i want to be apart of something i guess. Merry Christmas!!

Revised Est.
Ship Date 12/17/200
Click on the Order Number
to view its status
GEFORCE 8800GT PCIE 512MB-DUAL DVI TVOUT OVERCLOCK

What part of their deal with you did they fail to honor?

Shipping Method: Next Business Day
Est. Ship Date: 12/10/2007
Est. Delivery Date: 12/11/2007
Carrier: Not Shipped
Tracking Number: Not Shipped

When I was buying it I never saw 1-2 months estimated wait time. It clearly said 1-2 weeks. FAIL.

Shipping Method: Next Business Day
Est. Ship Date: 12/10/2007
Est. Delivery Date: 12/11/2007
Carrier: Not Shipped
Tracking Number: Not Shipped

When I was buying it I never saw 1-2 months estimated wait time. It clearly said 1-2 weeks. FAIL.

It was an estimate, not a guarantee.

They might "FAIL" but they didn't fail to honor any part of your agreement.

Basically the ship dates are going to be pushed back 7 days at a time until it is mid January and then we might see some volume shipments. They're not going to tell you straight up that your estimated shipping is going to get delayed 4 weeks, they will push it back one week at a time hoping that you will not cancel your order.

What part of their deal with you did they fail to honor?

Dude...... you know darn well why people are upset.

You appear to just be baiting them into some kind of flamefest or something.

That's called TROLLing in my book.

It was an estimate, not a guarantee.

They might "FAIL" but they didn't fail to honor any part of your agreement.

So whenever you buy something you don't ask WHEN you are getting it?
In that case do I have some really good deals for you.
Send me $350 now. And I will send you two 8800GTs. Good deal no?
Estimated delivery date: Not known, keep visiting this forum for future developments.

I ordered on 11/24, and it says est. 12/10. Not cancelling it but can wait.

UPDATE: Just got email from Dell - order delayed, est ship 12-17-07.

Myself and 2 friends who ordered at the same time as you just got the same note.

I'm going to wait. It's not like don't have a card at all, I can still play TF2. :)

So whenever you buy something you don't ask WHEN you are getting it?
In that case do I have some really good deals for you.
Send me $350 now. And I will send you two 8800GTs. Good deal no?
Estimated delivery date: Not known, keep visiting this forum for future developments.

An estimated ship date is just that.

An estimate.

Estimated ship dates have no guarantee and the shipper only has a responsibility to reasonably try to make that ship date. If you don't like an Estimated ship date, don't buy a backordered product with an estimated ship date.

The possibility of a missed estimate is part of the deal when you're given an estimated ship date.

It's totally unfair and downright wrong to suddenly claim that the shipper failed to honor your agreement because they didn't make the estimated ship date. Dell never agreed to a guaranteed ship date.

An estimated ship date is just that.

An estimate.

Estimated ship dates have no guarantee and the shipper only has a responsibility to reasonably try to make that ship date. If you don't like an Estimated ship date, don't buy a backordered product with an estimated ship date.

The possibility of a missed estimate is part of the deal when you're given an estimated ship date.

It's totally unfair and downright wrong to suddenly claim that the shipper failed to honor your agreement because they didn't make the estimated ship date. Dell never agreed to a guaranteed ship date.

Oh that can be fixed very easily...

DON'T PUT ONE DOWN!!

Don't pull estimates out of your ass! People might actually expect them...silly us.

Oh that can be fixed very easily...

DON'T PUT ONE DOWN!!

Don't pull estimates out of your ass! People might actually expect them...silly us.
I've been reading this forum and others for years, and it appears to me that Dell almost invariably ships on or before the estimated ship date.

Regardless, changing the subject doesn't change the fact that Dell did *not* fail to honor any agreement they had with you.

I've been reading this forum and others, and it appears to me that Dell almost invariably ships on or before the estimated ship date.

Regardless, changing the subject doesn't change the fact that Dell did *not* fail to honor any agreement they had with you.

Blah blah blah blah I'm right your wrong...last word.

That pretty much sums up your last argument.

Blah blah blah blah I'm right your wrong...last word.

That pretty much sums up your last argument.

.... So? Is there something wrong with supporting something I've said that's on topic and relevant to the thread?

Is pointing out that I'm making a statement to support a claim somehow invalidate the statement?

Or does pointing out that I am indeed right suddenly make me not right? ;)

I also just got postponed a week. A big disappointment, although I don't have the time to use the card until early January, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it arrives in that timeframe. In the meantime, I'll be keeping my eyes open for another great deal on the 8800gt. To all the Dell bashers - you've gotta admit that they did offer the card for a better price than anyone else. If anyone comes in with a lower price than Dell, I'll jump ship, but holding on to this order is still the best deal to be found right now.

.... So? Is there something wrong with supporting something I've said that's on topic and relevant to the thread?

Is pointing out that I'm making a statement to support a claim somehow invalidate the statement?

Or does pointing out that I am indeed right suddenly make me not right? ;)

I keep providing evidence to my claim and you have not done the same.

In a sales transaction you have three factors under the law:
Buyer - Me
Seller - Dell
Agreement - Price $208, Product MSI 8800 GT, Delivery 1-2 weeks.

That's it my friend. Simple. Not honored as such.

Time is most definitely a factor in ANY transaction. If you want to prove something please prove that under the conditions set at point of sales there was room for unlimited wait potential and that a time period does not matter in a contract.
You'll manage to disprove most law books if you happen to do such.

IIn a sales transaction you have three factors under the law:
Buyer - Me
Seller - Dell
Agreement - Price $208, Product MSI 8800 GT, Delivery 1-2 weeks.
Dell never agreed to that.

*shrug*

Protract it if you want, but Dell never promised anything they didn't deliver.

Dell never agreed to that.

Yes they did! I have an invoice to prove it!

It clearly said:
On their order page it said estimated delivery 1-2 weeks.
On my invoice it says 12/10/2007 estimated delivery date.

It did not say "we will ship it to you whenever we get some"
I would not have ordered it. It didn't say 1-2 moths either, again I would not have bothered.

Yes they did! I have an invoice to prove it!

It clearly said:
On their order page it said estimated delivery 1-2 weeks.
On my invoice it says 12/10/2007 estimated delivery date.

It did not say "we will ship it to you whenever we get some"
I would not have ordered it. It didn't say 1-2 moths either, again I would not have bothered.
estimate
noun.
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.

You appear to be having serious trouble understanding this word and how the term "estimated delivery date" it is different from "promised delivery date" or "guaranteed delivery date" or even simply "delivery date."

An estimate means that it is subject to change and revision. You and Dell agreed to an estimated delivery date. If this did not satisfy you, you should not have agreed to it.

estimate
noun.
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.

You appear to be having serious trouble understanding this word and how the term "estimated delivery date" it is different from "promised delivery date" or "guaranteed delivery date" or even simply "delivery date."

Well under those assumptions then we are all screwed and nothing would get done.
As you know any agreement is simply just a promise. And what is a promise any way?
Very broad interpretation, nothing solid for sure. I guess you do win, I'll let you back to masturbating and watching cartoons.

Well under those assumptions then we are all screwed and nothing would get done.
As you know any agreement is simply just a promise. And what is a promise any way?
Very broad interpretation, nothing solid for sure. I guess you do win, I'll let you back to masturbating and watching cartoons.
Excellent! I'm glad we were able to agree that Dell never promised a ship date and the word "estimate" includes the fact that the given date is subject to revision.

I'll let you get back to accusing corporations of violating nonexistent terms of contracts and wildly insulting people :)

mine just got delayed till dec. 17th via an e-mail message...supposed to ship today.

:eek:

No reason to insult him because he's right. It was an estimate when we all ordered, most of us recognized we might not get it by the estimated date. If you thought "estimated" meant something different, don't worry about it. Just chalk up to experiance and look for that in the future. :)

My primary problem with Dell is their lack of creativity or pro-activeness in trying to salvage (or even possibly enhance) their reputation when confronted with a customer problem like this. It's emblematic of a lumbering corporate Goliath that is disconnected from their customer.

It is pretty amazing that since this non-ship on Dec10 was an almost iron-clad certainty since Nov24, they waited UNTIL THE VERY SHIP DAY before sending out an email. That demonstrates an unacceptable amount of lack of basic foresight and planning and customer empathy. There could be quite a few Christmas presents that this item is geared for. It's analogous to a 4th grader waiting until the day an assignment is due before telling his teacher "uhhhh I lost your directions for the project that you handed out two weeks ago. Can you give me another 2 weeks?"

Face it, the list of companies that give one flying F--- about customer satisfaction is getting shorter every day. Most business experts on customer satisfaction would have said that this situation was an OPPORTUNITY for Dell to get out in front of the problem so that people actually had an enhanced opinion of their company. There are many ways that this situation could have been de-pressurized and a company the size of Dell has LOTS of levers, remedies, and salves that it could have applied to this problem. But of coarse, like many other corporate giants, their response has been poor, uncoordinated, lacking insight, and likely headed to an embarrassing failure.

I've never dealt with them before so this is my first impression of them. I now put them into the swelling bucket of e-tailers labeled BONEHEADS.

Just received an email that my order has been delayed till Jan 15... I Ordered Nov 24 and my original Ship date was Dec 10.

Just received an email that my order has been delayed till Jan 15... I Ordered Nov 24 and my original Ship date was Dec 10.

Jan 15!??

I sold the video card out of my gaming rig (which is my primary computer) to make some money for this upgrade. I have not had a working gaming rig since the beginning of november. I also had a DOA 8800GT from Newegg. A good laptop doesn't hold a flame to a good desktop... I need my desktop.

My ETA for this MSI is 12/12, if I'm going to see the ETA pushed back to next year, this order will be canceled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back