MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just chatted with Dell and tried to get a suitable replacement from eVGA. Got shafted instead. My first ship date was 12/10/2007, then 2 other representatives in the chat told me it would be 12/14/2007 and finally I got a response of 12/19/2007. Finally cancelled my order instead.

Oh, and the last representative seemed very knowledgeable. He said that when this sale his the website he was receiving 10-20 chats an HOUR just for the 8800GT deal, which is way over volume. He says that was just the chat center.. The call centers are much larger and had an even larger volume.

He says backorders are in the thousands if not tens of thousands at this point. Good luck to all who ordered. I'm guessing by the time this ships the prices will have fallen on the 8800GTs anyways and there will be more stock available. Anyways, there's one more for the taking if anybody wants my spot in line ;)

And about all the legal discussion going on, it wouldn't matter anyways. By the time you got through court and paid the fees, it wouldn't be worth the $208 price tag anymore anyways. Unless you can get on Judge Judy where they pay you to go to court, it's not an option. That's my opinion of it, but somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

syn0s

So your date in the system remained unchanged, but the reps told you a later date? I think I'll wait till the 10th, call them, if it didn't ship cancel the order.

Luder - I agree that the transaction most likely would be viewed as your second scenario - we made the offer when placing orders, which Dell accepted by confirming with a shipping date. Obviously, our position would be even stronger if Dell charged our credit cards (it did not). Those who have chat logs in which Dell agents unambiguously state that the cards will be shipped are in an even better position.

Kumquat - Luder's right, this is not really a "consumer protection" issue but basic contract law. I'm definitely not a consumer protection lawyer. However, I've been practicing contract law in one form or another (drafting and/or litigating finance, real estate, and employment contracts) for about 7 years now. I work for a large law firm, but I hope you understand that I'll decline to name my employer.

Ohji - Just because Dell puts language in their agreement of sale doesn't necessarily make it valid. Heck, I include language in contracts all the time that I know would not be enforced, but might nevertheless prevent an uninformed third party from taking some action. The binding arbitration provision, however, more likely than not would be enforced. That's not always a bad thing - it might be cheaper and easier for you to prevail than going to court. Moreover, you can technically file a complaint in court to attempt to invalidate the arbitration decision if you loose, but that's a battle I almost never want to fight.

Sorry to steer this thread in a legal direction. Let's get back to speculating when these cards will actually ship. Mine has been a 12/10 estimated ship date since I ordered on 11/25.

Does anybody know if paypal 20% would be working on my order on 11/26?
If Dell won't honor the $50, waiting here is no sense.

I ordered the MSI within the first few hours and got a ship date of 12/10.

I just checked my order status and the expected arrival date is now 12/13-12/17. Last time I looked, it was blank.

I ordered the MSI within the first few hours and got a ship date of 12/10.

I just checked my order status and the expected arrival date is now 12/13-12/17. Last time I looked, it was blank.

I've got the same times on my order page, but mine showed up the day I ordered it, I'm pretty sure they're just calculating 3-5 business days after the potential ship date.

....hope this comes through.

For those getting the MSI, are you going to replace your stock cooler, or will you not void the warranty?

Speaking of coolers, is the VF900 enough of a good replacement or shall I get the Accelero s1?

For those getting the MSI, are you going to replace your stock cooler, or will you not void the warranty?

Gonna watercool soon after I get it. Make sure it's not DOA using stock cooling, then go for it.

I've never had a transferable warranty before and never really have had any problems..... if you take care of the parts and they're made properly in the first place, failure rate is fairly low. I'm pretty sure my last 3 graphics cards, 3 cpus, and 2 motherboards have had their warranty voided for various cooling upgrades. I've also voided a few optical drives, a prebuilt watercooling system, and a laptop (though warranty had expired before I bought it anyways) to tinker and upgrade as I see fit.

Maze 4 is going on as soon as I know the card is alright. As far as voiding the warranty this is an argument I don't understand since they wouldn't be able to tell it after putting the original back on.

FWIW my ship date has still not changed from the 10th so who knows.

1. No, I won't even bother. It's a temp card till something much faster comes out in spring/summer that can play Crysis on high @ 1650.

2. Even if I was to keep the card, overclocking won't do enough for me. Might as well keep the card cooler by running stock speeds.

3. I don't get people that want lifetime warranty and are willing to pay more for the brands that offer it. Who here keeps their card for longer then 2y? Plus you have to probably have to pay the shipping on RMAs. Maybe not all the brands. It's just not worth it on a card that's older then 2y. How much will a 8800GT be worth in 2010? How much will I want it in my PC anyway? I'll probably just toss a 2y old card if it goes bad.

Your name suits you very well, I looked at several of my recent posts, and they are: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249364 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1247843 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249222 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249016 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248417 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1247968
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249333 , I have to admit, I'm flattered that you like me so much, now please stay on topic and refrain from name calling, off topic and name calling are a violation of the [H]ardForum rules....

I'm glad you like my name. It goes back several years from a LAN party I went to where my name was MORG (stood for Murderous Omnipotent Raging God) and there was another less creative guy there whose real name is Morgan and that is also his gamer name. People kept calling him Morg for short. When people were talking to me, he thought it was him and vice versa. People also often commented on how I was decent at every game we played even though I hadn't played most of them before the LAN. I had my key games that I was pretty good at, but I was also always a contributing factor in just about every other game. I was not just a noob, but I was the best of all the noobs. Actually quite an Ub3rn00b if you will. No matter what I called myself, people called me Ub3rn00b. I eventually gave in and it's been with me ever since.
That's the story behind my name.
Although if I lacked creativity to the same magnitude as others, I guess my name would be Z 28.

However, I don't want to make off topic posts...so uhh...anyone else get a confirmed shipment from Dell yet?

Bored at work and went to Dell.com - did a search for 8800GT and lookie what it says. LOL

XFX
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card
Usually Ships 6+ Weeks
Manufacturer Part# PVT88PYDF4
Dell Part# A1350995

Bored at work and went to Dell.com - did a search for 8800GT and lookie what it says. LOL

XFX
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card
Usually Ships 6+ Weeks
Manufacturer Part# PVT88PYDF4
Dell Part# A1350995

I saw that too. Why even have it listed on the site if it's gonna be "6+ weeks". That of course means that it'll ship at a MINIMUM of 6 weeks. Could be 2 or 3 months. Who knows? What's disappointing is that other site have it in and out of stock, albeit at a much higher price, while Dell straight up says "we aren't getting any for 6 weeks at least". Mine still shows that it's going to ship on the 11th. Can't do anything but wait and see. I'm not going to have internet access at my house for at least another week anyway. Multiplayer is about all the gaming I do anyway so it's no big loss for me to have to wait a little while for it.
If you go to froogle.com and do a search for the PN, you'll find a few sites that haev it listed as "in stock". Such as http://www.xpcgear.com/pvt88pydf4.html
I've ordered from them before. If Dell delays my order, I'll be ordering from them again.

I don't know how many people ordered the XFX over the MSI, but maybe 6+ weeks means something like "we get xxx cards a week and have xxxx orders already waiting to be filled."

With the MSI, it's probably like "we get xx cards per week and have xx,xxx orders to fill so we took it down off the site!" :)

What I don't get is how Dell had the deal up for a couple of days, then they took it down....and put it back up again! This is why so many people are worried!!!

Checked order status and still no change on shipping date. Don't know if that's a good thing or if it's gonna make the letdown even worse come the 10th :confused:. I guess the only silver lining is when I ordered two weeks ago I never could seem to find one in stock unless it was $300, but now stock seems to be getting better so if this falls through it will be easier to find one. Might even wait til after Christmas to see what happens to prices.

I hopped on this deal on the 24th while the post count on this thread was still below 15. My ship date hasn't ever changed, and they even upgraded me to free overnight shipping. Well, my order total was roughly $227.00 with tax/S&H. I saw another thread that said eVGA had the 8800GT SSC (700Mhz core) IN STOCK for $299.99. So I decided to give the Dell chat one more try. Here's the details:

12/08/2007 01:41:28PM Session Started with Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah)
12/08/2007 01:41:31PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Service Chat. My name is Ranjitha. How may I help you?"
12/08/2007 01:41:37PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Hi Jeff, how are you doing today?"
12/08/2007 01:41:57PM JEFF : "Hi ... sorry I was on another screen"
12/08/2007 01:42:10PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "That is okay."
12/08/2007 01:42:28PM JEFF : "I'm chatting today to inquire as to the shipping availability of my order."
12/08/2007 01:43:07PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, as I understand you need to know shipping availability of the order, is that correct?"
12/08/2007 01:43:28PM JEFF : "Yes. My "purchase status" page says it will ship on the 10th. Is this still accurate?"
12/08/2007 01:43:36PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Please provide the order number. Let me check your account details to assist you with the issue."
12/08/2007 01:43:47PM JEFF : "Stand by..."
12/08/2007 01:43:52PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Sure."
12/08/2007 01:44:05PM JEFF : [removed]
12/08/2007 01:44:15PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Thank you."
12/08/2007 01:44:16PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Please verify your complete name, as on our records?"
12/08/2007 01:44:26PM JEFF : [removed]
12/08/2007 01:44:56PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Is your current email address [removed]?"
12/08/2007 01:45:03PM JEFF : "yes"
12/08/2007 01:45:15PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Can I have an alternate phone number in case I need to call you back for a follow up?"
12/08/2007 01:45:29PM JEFF : "no, the primary one will be fine"
12/08/2007 01:45:36PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Thank you for the verification."
12/08/2007 01:46:04PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, the order#93840xxxx is estimated to ship on or before 12/10/2007."
12/08/2007 01:46:41PM JEFF : "Yes. However from all of the information going around on http://hardocp.com and http://www.anandtech.com it seems that that is not at all accurate."
12/08/2007 01:47:29PM JEFF : "Can you verify that you actually have the part in stock to ship out on Monday, the 10th of December?"
12/08/2007 01:47:31PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Let me check that for you."
12/08/2007 01:47:56PM JEFF : "The part # is: A1348853"
12/08/2007 01:48:14PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I checked for the availability of the part."
12/08/2007 01:48:49PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, currently the item is backordered. Every effort is being made to complete the order."
12/08/2007 01:49:12PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "As per the update, the estimated ship date is on or before 12/12/2007."
12/08/2007 01:49:30PM JEFF : "What is the estimated time of ship from the vendor and or delivery to Dell's warehouses?"
12/08/2007 01:50:17PM JEFF : "What quantity of cards are you supposed to receive?"
12/08/2007 01:51:25PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, we don't have the information about the quantity of cards that we are supposed to receive as this depends on the number of orders placed by customers."
12/08/2007 01:51:38PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "The estimated ship date is just a conservative ship date for the order and it is quite possible that the order ships before estimated date. I would suggest that you wait for few more days as there is a possibility that the order ships before the estimate"
d ship date.
12/08/2007 01:52:02PM JEFF : "Well, I'd say its safe to assume that the quantity of orders placed is well into the thousands."
12/08/2007 01:53:13PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, please don't worry. We are working to ship the order to you at the earliest."
12/08/2007 01:54:07PM JEFF : "I have heard estimated ship dates from other customers who have posted est. dates of 12/18/07 and 12/28/07 that ordered on the same day as myself. How am I to believe that the 12th is at all accurate?"
12/08/2007 01:54:27PM JEFF : "These also are coming from Dell chat logs such as this one."
12/08/2007 01:55:15PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Jeff, the orders are processed as they are received and the estimated ship date is provided as per the availability of parts."
12/08/2007 01:56:09PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Please be assured that we are doing our best to ship the order to you at the earliest. You will be informed either through email or call if there is any changes made for the estimated ship date."
12/08/2007 01:57:28PM JEFF : "The same scripted responses that everyone else is posting currently. Based on your vague information and lack of ability to ensure me that I will actually receive the product before January (and that I believe to be a generous estimate) ... I'd like to c"
ancel my order at this time.
12/08/2007 01:58:04PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I understand the way you feel regarding the issue."
12/08/2007 01:58:20PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I'm sorry, we don't promise the ship date as per mail order rule."
12/08/2007 01:58:35PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I regret to know that you would like to cancel the order."
12/08/2007 01:58:49PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I'll submit the request to cancel this order."
12/08/2007 01:59:01PM JEFF : "Well, I have already placed an order with EVGA for a superior card with superior warranty and guaranteed in stock / shipping on Monday the 10th."
12/08/2007 01:59:12PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Please allow 24 to 48 hours for the information to be processed."
12/08/2007 01:59:17PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "I understand."
12/08/2007 01:59:41PM JEFF : "For $75.00 more I'm happy to pay for the extra performance and consumer confidence they're offering."
12/08/2007 01:59:45PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "The hold on the order amount will be removed in 24 to 72 hours from the time the order is cancelled."
12/08/2007 02:00:09PM JEFF : "Do you have a confirmation number for the cancelled order?"
12/08/2007 02:00:20PM Agent (Ranjitha Ponnaiah): "Sure."
[exit chit chat removed]

This is my second chat with Dell and it instilled no more confidence than the first. Good luck to all of you who are going to stick this out, I for one am going with the sure thing on the eVGA 8800GT SSC card. And for those of you holding your breath for a ship date of the 10th ... IMHO you're going to be disappointed.

FYI, here's the link for the eVGA card for those interested: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N806-A1

--PB

I shot at the XFX deal, but canceled last night.

If you didn't order on the very first day, may I suggest that you get the hell out. =\
Ordered a stock EVGA 8800GT 512MB from newegg.

I still have an XFX card on order with Dell..........doubt it'll ship out by the date I need it (December 14th).......so I got antsy and ordered an EVGA SSC card. I plan on cancelling my order with Dell by December 13th ;)

I've got an order for an MSI and an XFX that both say that they will ship my the 10th. At this point I'm not willing to pay $300, so while I doubt that either will ship next week, I'm willing to wait it out at least until I find a similar deal.

I work 12 hour shifts Monday and Tuesday and will be off Wednesday so I'm giving them a couple days grace period til Wednesday. I hope it pans out even though it would surprise me.

I've got an order for an MSI and an XFX that both say that they will ship my the 10th. At this point I'm not willing to pay $300, so while I doubt that either will ship next week, I'm willing to wait it out at least until I find a similar deal.

yeah I'm not giving $300 for a card that should be $200ish anyway. I ain't expecting these cards to meet demand and come down in price till Jan/Feb so I can wait at least till I find a similar deal aswell. I just bought a 360 and a 37" HDTV so I am a happy gamer right now.

Talk to dell chat. They said they had a 45 day backorder on the cards. Hope I get lucky come Monday.

yeah some of the ppl that ordered on the first or second day MIGHT luck up but anything after that and I'd say there is a decent wait.

12:47:43 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
12:47:43 PM System Connected with Bruno Mathew
12:47:48 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Service Chat. My name is Bruno. How may I help you?
12:49:21 PM Darlene Hi Bruno, I'm concerned about a product Dell has on sale that is rapidly being backordered because Dell hasn't discontinued taking orders
12:49:58 PM Bruno Mathew I regret the inconvenience caused to you regarding this matter.
12:50:03 PM Bruno Mathew Could you provide the order # ?
12:50:32 PM Darlene It's the 8800GT, it has been being sold since November 24th, and no one has recieved it yet, All over the internet tens of thousands of people are worried that Dell won't be able to ship them all
12:51:26 PM Darlene Do you have any information about this particular situation?
12:52:23 PM Bruno Mathew I'll check your order details, we haven't received any update about that, however, if you can provide your order #, I can check your order details and provide information about your order.
12:54:23 PM Darlene Ok, I am concerned about my order, but I really want to know if this is going to be a major flop by Dell if Dell doesn't have access to say 20,000 8800GT's by next week for everyone else that has ordered one and is still ordering because the website is still taking orders
12:54:23 PM Bruno Mathew I have not received a response in over a minute. To ensure that I have addressed all your questions or concerns, please respond within the next two minutes to allow me to continue our chat.
12:55:15 PM Bruno Mathew Again, as of now there is no such update on that item, however, if you can provide your order # I can check the order details and provide information about your order.
12:55:19 PM Darlene (removed) heres my order number, I placed it 11/25/2007
12:55:30 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you.
12:55:30 PM Bruno Mathew Could you please verify the customer name exactly as listed on our records?
12:55:35 PM Darlene It ships out tomarow
12:55:49 PM Darlene (removed)
12:56:13 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you.
12:56:22 PM Darlene Your welcome
12:56:23 PM Bruno Mathew Is ' removed' your current e-mail address ?
12:56:29 PM Darlene Yes
12:56:58 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you for the information.
12:57:03 PM Bruno Mathew Please allow me 2-3 minutes to access your information.
12:57:43 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you for being online.
12:58:28 PM Bruno Mathew I'd like to mention that the item 'GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB DDR3-600M DUAL DVI PCIE' is a non-Dell manufactured item and such orders are directly processed by the vendor, I'll now provide the vendor update on this item for your order and in general for this item.
12:59:43 PM Bruno Mathew The estimated ship date provided for your orders is on or before 12/18/07, also update for this item at--2007-12-05 15:15:44.--constrained, huge sales spiked demand, will not recover before Mid Jan-- approximate lead time is 6+ Weeks.
1:00:36 PM Darlene Will there be an email sent with that information?
1:00:43 PM Bruno Mathew If you wish to keep your order you can do so, or if you end up purchasing this item locally you can contact us and we can submit a cancellation request if the item isn't shipped.
1:01:15 PM Darlene I'm keeping my order, I don't need it now
1:01:58 PM Bruno Mathew In case you end up purchasing this item locally and simultaneously if this order ships out, once you receive the item you can contact us, we can arrange for the return at no cost to you and also arrange for free return shipping if you contact us within 30 days post order invoice date.
1:02:13 PM Bruno Mathew You'd receive the chat transcript for this order via e-mail.
1:02:48 PM Bruno Mathew So those are the possible options and the estimates, ultimately what really matters is when the stock is replenished.
1:02:53 PM Bruno Mathew This particular conversation has been assigned a case reference number. An e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address and for any further assistance pertaining to this particular case, you may please reply to that e-mail without changing the subject line, and we will get back to you.
1:02:58 PM Bruno Mathew Have I been able to answer your questions to your satisfaction in this chat?
1:04:13 PM Bruno Mathew Apart from this, is there anything else that I can help you with?
1:05:06 PM Darlene Yes, thank you. If I needed this card on time I would have gone elsewhere. I mostly just wanted Dell to know alot of people are counting on them for this particular card and if they have to wait long they won't take it well
1:06:13 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you for your feedback and passing on that information, I'll forward it to my case specialist who in turn would forward it to our online order management team.
1:06:32 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you for using Dell Customer Service chat to resolve your issue today. For referencing our interaction today you may use case # removed . This case number holds information on our interaction today and will assist you with contacting Dell in the future. For any other issues, you may refer to the web site www.support.dell.com.
1:06:34 PM Bruno Mathew You've indicated that there are no other issues you need my assistance with. With that in mind, is it okay with you if I exit this chat now?
1:07:53 PM Bruno Mathew Thank you Darlene for your time and patience.
1:08:00 PM Darlene That sounds better. I'm going to post this chat on hardforum.com , there is a thread here with 50,000 + views about Dell & 8800GT's , they'll be glad to know Dell is aware
1:09:03 PM Bruno Mathew It's your discretion.
1:09:08 PM Bruno Mathew Have a nice day.
1:09:13 PM System Bruno Mathew has left this session!
1:09:13 PM System The session has ended!

I ordered this when it came back up on the 28th. I realized I had a slim chance of getting this anytime soon but my order status was never updated and it continued to say it would ship on the 13th. I just chatted with Dell and they said it would not ship out until January 8th.

Great price, shame I can't wait, had to cancel and spend about $80 more to get an evga superclocked.

hmmmm, i just found the xfx 8800GT In Stock for 240.99 with free shipping. should i? its only 20 more than the msi in this deal after taxes..

Sorry all, it was pointed out to me that the model is 256MB even though its listed as 512mb

I was going to get this card for $185.00 from my Dell rep with my employee discount but it was sold out.I'm just gonna wait till January and buy one when the prices drop.

I am stick on the phone with Buy, I ordered the Xfx from them and now i see 256! I got a email showing they shipped to on a sunday(512meg version on reciept). Crap, i am not paying shipping back for the wrong iteam.
:mad:

I am stick on the phone with Buy, I ordered the Xfx from them and now i see 256! I got a email showing they shipped to on a sunday(512meg version on reciept). Crap, i am not paying shipping back for the wrong iteam.
I'd be pissed. It's their error they need to pay for return shipping. GL.

i almost fell for that as well, as i mentioned to r00k about the link he gave me was clearly a 256mb model when googled the model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back