MSI 870a-g54 usb 3.0 startup problem

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
I finallllly found the problem to my start up problems, but need help with a solution!

Here's some background:

I have an AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 945 with an MSI 870a-g54 Motherboard. (no OC)
Patriot ddr3 1600 2x2gb memory and for some time now if i were to shut down my computer for more than a few hours, the start up into Windows 7 x64 bit version would crash several times (all errors were random, but usually referenced either a driver or a memory dump).

I tested everything, and everything came back clean, but recently I thought I'd disable the USB 3.0 controller that came with the board. I shut it down for the night, and viola, it started up normally.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they have come up with a solution. I havn't flashed my bios (have the janurary 2011 one), but i uninstalled the drivers.

Look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks!

The two BIOS updates newer than yours don't appear to address any USB issues, so that's out.

To eliminate drivers or other software as a source of the problem, you can try booting to a LiveCD instead of Windows. If the issues go away, then it's probably a driver issue, from the sounds of things. If you still get crashes and freezes with the LiveCD running, that leaves the hardware as the apparent point of failure. At that point, I'd open up the case and start looking for shorts or physical damage.

If nothing shows up there, I reckon you can buy a USB 3.0 add-in card, or just RMA the board if that's practical for you. Or return it to the store for a refund, if you got it recently enough.

I'd say that you could try under-clocking your RAM, but this doesn't sound like an issue that would be fixed by that.

Hope that helps :)

i spoke too soon.. the only way i can solve the problem is if i boot into usb boot loaded ubuntu first (after however many hours of shut down time) then loading into windows.

basically

theres still two outcomes..

1. - boot using ubuntu usb (2.0)
- restart, boot into windows
- profit

2. - boot normally
- crash multiple times
- ???
- eventually start up

this pretty much confirms its a driver problem.. but what driver set loads when the windows 7 boot logo comes on? thats usually when it crashes

Hmm. Did you install the USB drivers from the motherboard's installation disc, or did you let Windows select its own drivers?

Well, I am out of ideas, sorry. All things being equal, the website drivers should just work. Maybe you downloaded the drivers for a slightly different motherboard?

yeah im out of ideas too. . ill double check that, but i highly doubt it.

the only fix i have is booting to ubuntu to to windows as i start up.

i think this will be sufficient, ill think of it as a usb pass key or something.. any one trying to boot into my pc will just see bsods!

thanks for your help though, its much appreciated!

how many USB devices do you have plugged in during startup? it could be a conflict with a device you have plugged in. my computer wont boot normally with a usb hub plugged into it, but works fine if i unplug it.

hmm..

usb stick (for boot up)
keyboard
mouse
and monitor 2 port hub..

now that i think about it

on my next shut down, ill have to test it with/without the monitor hub on. today i had it plugged in before a start up and it took a while to start up.

must be it..

thanks for the tip!

Back