MSI 7970 OC vs Sapphire 7970 OC?

Which card

• Sapphire

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • MSI

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Sapphire for sure. The MSI card it basically a ref. card. I had one before I got my 7950's and it was so damn loud ha. Temps were around 80C in BF3. I had to return it as well because it artifacted at the stock clocks. Msi does make amazing coolers though on their non-ref cards. [H]ard has their review up today of the sapphire card.

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/04/10/sapphire_hd_7970_oc_edition_video_card_review/9

Last edited:
Sapphire for sure. The MSI card it basically a ref. card. I had one before I got my 7950's and it was so damn loud ha. Temps were around 80C in BF3. I had to return it as well because it artifacted at the stock clocks. Msi does make amazing coolers though on their non-ref cards. [H]ard has their review up today as well of the sapphire card.

Hence the question, I was set on the MSI's because of their transferable warranty.

If your worried about that, then spend $10 more and get the Lightning when it comes back into stock. The Msi card is all ref. from what I understand and very much over priced. For $10 more your getting a hell of a lot more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127670

The sapphire is reference but with a non-stock cooler according to EK, so it'll work with ref 7970 waterblocks, same with the MSI OC, the lightening isn't, so it's out. Since I may go to watercooling.

If your considering WC then get the cheapest card you can with the best warrenty. No sense in paying for a card with a better cooler if its going to come off in the future. Just put up with the extra heat and noise for a little then take that sucker off and slap on a waterblock ha. May make you wanna WC sooner too ha. The sapphire does OC pretty good from reading [H]ards review which is something else to consider too. That changes from card to card though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127670

Get this card .OC to 1150 Mhz at stock voltage. Max voltage OC is not adviseable if you are looking at a 3 yr life span. The 1.15 ghz should be good enough to run any game at max settings. You get the 3 yr warranty and peace of mind and stability/acoustics/temps should be excellent.

Last edited:
My Gigabyte Reference cards do 1150/1850 on stick Bolts in TriFire. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on Factory OverclOcked cards. I Would buy a factory overclOcked card if it was 1300 core or more.

I own the Sapphire 7870 OC Edition and it does OC great. It's an amazing card for the price. Good performance and good value.

I own the Sapphire 7870 OC Edition and it does OC great. It's an amazing card for the price. Good performance and good value.

Hey man i'm between buying a GTX570 or this Sapphire HD7870OC ( aprox. 80$ more expensive). Does it worth to spend 80$ more for this card ? How does it OC ? max temps ? oh and what about gaming performance ? Sorry for too many questions xD. Thanks i'll appreciate your reply:).

Back