• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI 7950 coil whine

Messerschmitt

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
76
So looks like I am unlucky and my brand new MSI 7950 came with coil whine :/

Not only it whines, but it's very loud. Distractingly loud. It only whines in games basically. And it is not dependent on FPS. Some games like World of Tank will whine at 60-70 FPS. Tried some tests on Kombustor and roughly half of them make the card whine

Should I RMA? Some people even suggested that if it whines, it's life expectancy is shorter too.

Interestingly enough it seems that the whine is not as loud as I continued to play and run benchmarks. But it's still there. I highly doubt it will be gone :/
 
So looks like I am unlucky and my brand new MSI 7950 came with coil whine :/

Not only it whines, but it's very loud. Distractingly loud. It only whines in games basically. And it is not dependent on FPS. Some games like World of Tank will whine at 60-70 FPS. Tried some tests on Kombustor and roughly half of them make the card whine

Should I RMA? Some people even suggested that if it whines, it's life expectancy is shorter too.

Interestingly enough it seems that the whine is not as loud as I continued to play and run benchmarks. But it's still there. I highly doubt it will be gone :/

Yeah, it sucks. Mine has it too. But also only when gaming, thank God, because I use a headset and it's inaudible then. I just discovered it yesterday, in fact, because I took my headphones off before quitting the game (Witcher2). It actually has two whines, a low whine and a very high pitched whine that changes pitch. The low one is bad enough, but the high one is pure torture.
 
Actually, last night my whine almost completely disappeared. I took of my headphones a number of times while playing, and couldn't hear it...
 
How come last night you discovered another pitch whine but today it dissapeared?

Did you do anything particular to it?
 
I didn't do anything! I have no idea what happened. I just tried it now, and there is a very slight whine, though nothing like two days ago; I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been listening for it. So it seems completely random. Maybe it's the humidity!
 
Back
Top