• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI 6800GT Will Not Install

Negligence

n00b
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
7
I recently purchased an MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP (specs here). After uninstalling the drivers from my 6600GT, swapping cards, and returning to install the new drivers, I was greeted with a blue screen of failure stating that my computer encountered an error and was being shutdown, and that I should swap video adapters. It did this both for the general nvidia drivers, and MSI-specific drivers about halfway through the installation.

Additionally, after I swapped in the 6800GT, I was seeing blotches of green dots all over the screen (quite concentrated). These did not dissapear. I tried fiddling with BIOS settings, running Driver Cleaner, re-seating the card, and so forth with no results.

Here are my specs:

P4 2.6ghz
ASUS P4P800 (AGP 8x)
MSI 6800GT 256mb AGP
Windows XP (SP2)
550W Power Supply


If you could please give me some suggestions or possible fixes, that would be great. It might be that the card is defective, but its been suggested to me that its my motherboard.

Thoughts?
 
Did you try putting your old card back in to see if it would still work?

If it does, then I'd have to lean towards the problem being with the new card.

Alternatively, you can get another card...any agp card will do. Try it and see if it works. If its truly your mobo that's fuxored, then no card will work. If its just the new GT, then only it will send you to the BSOD, while the rest of them will show no misbehavior.
 
Seems to me that the Video card itself is deffective. Try putting back the 6600GT and installing the drivers for it and see what happens. If all goes well with the 6600GT, you can it's most likely the new card. RMA or return it and get an X800 AGP version, or the 6800GT just not from MSI but from eVGA or XFX.
 
Back
Top