MSI 6600GT running at 78 C during WoW... should I be worried?

jhokie

Limp Gawd
My new card is running at 78 Celsius while playing World of Warcraft at max details 1280 1024 resolution.. should this worry me?

I have a 6800gt and with my artic cooling 5 cooler it will run load about 65-70 clocked at 425/1100. I dont know if I would be worried cuz there are safgaurds on the card to keep it feom overheating. also I think the threshold is like 100 celcius anyway. also better case cooling can lower that byt lowerin the overall ambient temps. you can also get some AS5 and put it on the GPU and should lower temps. if your temps get higher than they are now I would look into better cooling.

Damn I have noticed it going up to 82 C... I am starting to get a bit worried...

Nope your temps are normal, 6800GTs tend to run in the 78-86C range under load with the stock cooler.

i have an inno3d 6600gt agp and it went to 81 during rthdrbl and the fan is really noisy. i replaced the original thermal pad with as5, only a slight improvement, maybe 2 degrees. then i tried ghetto cooling solution using paper and now its at 78.. still bad..

my pc can't run far cry at 1024x768 max settings with hdr but it used too. it' so wierd coz i didnt change anything, now it just crashes before the game loads, so i have to play at high setting.

so i'm just gonna wait till artic cooling makes a cooler for it cos i dont wanna get the zalman as it dumps heat in the case.

I have a Leadtek 6600GT and it says the core temperature threshold is 127 celcius. Not that I would let my card get near that, but I don't think 82 celcius is that bad...

Just curious, what kind of fps are you getting? (ctrl+r in game)

I can only pull 20fps in zones at 8x6 or 1280x1024 w/ other settings maxed... I expected a little better.

Something must be wrong Rhoguer... lowest my FPS ever hits at 1280x1024 max details (no AA though) is 35... usually it's around 60. Even in crowded Ogrimmar I havent seen it go below 35 yet... I have a p4 3.2 Ghz with 1 gig of ram and my card is pci express...

I have that card, too bad the stock cooler is garbage. Get something else. Good thing I have watercooling. 8)

if you have an empty pci slor you might want to consider getting one of those pci fans to blow directly on it. i dont really know anything about them but it seems like that would be a simple solution should your motherboard configuration provide for it

Now that I think about it... maybe you have like 8X AA and anisotropic filtering enabled? I'm not sure WoW really needs that much anyway. That could be the source of your slower framerates.

mine 2pcs Leadtek 6600GT temp load at 85c ( 62c idle )
I have problem before I change the clock speed
in default speed,I got a green box blinking in the screen
after I decrease it from default 550/1100 to 500/1000
( Extreme version downgrade to normal version core )
everything run ok..all the games and 3Dmark
no more green box appear again.

==========================================================

AMD64 3500+ newcastle
Thermalright SLK948U
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCI-E x2
Kingston HyperX 433mhz 256mb x2
Seagate SATA 80GB x2 raid 0
Lite-On 16x DVD-writter
View Sonic VG910B LCD minitor
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Creative S750 THX speaker
Thermaltake W008 PFC 420watt
Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A
Window XP SP2

Apparently it was clocked higher on default... I never could see what it was clocked at I guess, cuz when I installed coolbitz it looked like it was on 500 and 1000 default, and now the temp readings are alot better 75-78... So either that was fixed or the temp readings were innaccurate before. If the manufacturer had overclocked it would coolbitz default it back to 500 / 1000?

Ok I guess I was wrong... I guess the temp monitoring just got a little fast... because if I look really fast at the monitor when I alt tab back I noticed that it was still 80+ before it changed down to 70s. I guess I'm going to experiment with a bit of underclocking.

Underclocking it didnt really seem to help much... my friend did offer a suggestion though. He said that dell heat pipes (giant dell heat pipe over my processor, I have a dimension 4700), while they may improve cooling to the cpu, oftentimes screw the cooling to other componenents. Is this true? If so, should I consider removing the heat pipe?

Card died!!!! Oh well, guess I'm gonna be RMAing it back to newegg. It was seeming to do allright earlier, at its high temperature, then I turned on max AA and whatnot, and ran Quake 3 of all things! My system spontaneously restarted, i could feel ALOT of heat coming from the side of my computer, so I waited a while until it cooled down. Upon rebooting, the whole screen was covered with artifacts, and it was obvious that this card had suffered severe damage from the overheating.

Too bad newegg won't let me exchange for another brand! I'm gonna give a second MSI card a shot, hopefully my results will be better this time. It did notice that Newegg is now OUT OF STOCK of that card! Maybe they'll give me a new brand?

Foolish heat threshold setting by NVIDIA!!!! 100 C would be far better than the 120something they have it set too!

I'm running a EVGA Geforce 6800 GT pci-e. Per the techs at EVGA, pci-e cads due run hoter than their AGP brethren. However, they don't like to see the card get above the 78-82 C range under load. Mine idles at 61-65 C and under load hits high 80's...even 90C. I had a new card sent to me and it hits the same temps. The core slowdown threshold for the pci express cards is set at 135 C as opposed to 120 for AGP cards. I'm using Coolbits to check the temps...whta u using?

Back