MSE - can it work on sbs 2003?

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
for the last 3 yrs i haven't run any antivirus on my sbs 2003 system cause i really don't want to pay for one. Will MSE run on it?

go to MS website and check the requirements/licensing info?

Dear god I hope this SBS box is not in a business/production environment. No antivirus for 3 years?

For servers you want antivirus software that is compatible with server operating systems.
Once installed, you have a pretty hefty list of exclusions to enter into the realtime protection exclusion list.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/resources.aspx?mkt=en-us&s=1#mainNav

" Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

* For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
* For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
* VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
* 140 MB of available hard disk space.
* An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
* Internet Browser:
o Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
o Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
* Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 "

yeah it is in a business, but we've never had a problem with a virus until just today so now i'm rethinking things.

obviously i checked the system specs first, but i figured just because they don't list sbs 2003 doesn't mean it doesn't work. i really can't shell out for an antivirus

since Server '03 is not specifically listed, it would most likely be against the EULA, and certainly not supported.

but then you should have also looked at the EULA.

Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in your home-based small business.

yeah it is in a business, but we've never had a problem with a virus until just today so now i'm rethinking things.

Ack! Are you at least using the POP3 connector to download e-mail from a good mail host that washes the mail first? Or is port 25 wide open? :eek:

Ack! Are you at least using the POP3 connector to download e-mail from a good mail host that washes the mail first? Or is port 25 wide open? :eek:

Lol. I can't believe you're even asking. The guy doesn't run antivirus; of course 25 is wide open.

well i guess i can understand the tone of chastisement since when i get in trouble you guys are the ones supporting me :p

honestly, i just wanted to see if anyone had actually tried running mse on sbs to save myself some time.

i actually do have port 25 blocked off, i don't use exchange or pop3 connectors. actually, i use google apps for my domain.

wow, you really need AV on there. I'm not aware of any free AV solutions that work on server OSes except for maybe Clam.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back