MSDNAA

kingdomwinds

Limp Gawd
are MSDNAA copies of Vista treated as OEM? My university offers free windows vista business but I do not know if it is treated as oem or retail by microsoft.

no idea what they consider it. It might even be better than OEM and Retail, I think I heard that the MSDN keys were better (allowed more flexibility, can't remember how though), but not sure if that relates to MSDNAA. I used the key from my University to order a 64-bit copy of Vista from Microsoft, and also made a copy of the 32-bit disc I loaned from the University, so I have both if I need them.

MSDNAA licenses fall under different licensing terms and conditions to either OEM or Retail licenses. They are not "treated as" either of those.

can the MSDNAA vista key be activated again if you change pc parts? I know that OEM are tied to the motherboard. What about MSDNAA

ALL license types can be activated again after you change PC parts.

If what you are asking, though, is whether or not the MSDNAA license is migrateable (i.e. can it be transferred to a different system) then yes. It is a migrateable license rather than an "only ever the one machine" license.

Edit: By the way, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a permanent license that you can continue using forevermore. The license can be, and often is, rendered void when you cease to study.

Nice. All this time i thought MSDNAA was tied to one pc. This means I don't have to waste money on vista. My university says that I can continue using it even after graduation as long as i don't use it for commecial purposes

I think you people misunderstand MSDNAA licensing. You, the end user, do NOT become the license holder. The educational institution distributing the MSDNAA software is the license holder, and you, the student or staff user, only get granted permission to use it by the license holder. You don't EVER get a license yourself, and you are subject to whatever further restrictions of use the license holder might want to put in place.

MSDNAA software is NOT for private, personal use. The general terms under which MSDNAA license holders are permitted to distribute software to you stipulate that usage is only::

(a) to develop, support, conduct, or take the STEM courses, labs, or programs you offer;
(b) in non-commercial STEM research on your behalf; or
(c) to design, develop, test, and demonstrate software programs for the above purposes.

There is specific mention that usage outside those restrictions requires the purchase of a commercial license.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250608.aspx

Actually my dad is a professor at Purdue Calumet in Hammond, Indiana and just got me Vista Business Edition since I don't go back to school until August. Its actually a upgrade version. Not sure if your school is different. You still can do a wipe of the hard drive and a clean install though, so its not bad at all.

I think you people misunderstand MSDNAA licensing. You, the end user, do NOT become the license holder.
That wasn't my interpretation of the legalities regarding the MSDNAA copy of Vista I use.

IIRC I had to agree to both a standard Vista EULA at install, as well as another at download of the software. The EULA at download stated as you mentioned that I could not use the OS for commercial software development purposes. It didn't mention anything about their ability to revoke the license upon my completion of school. This was something I specifically looked for since I hope to be graduating soon (but admittedly may have missed).

Also, by definition, the fact that you agree to an end user license agreement makes you a software licenser.

Here's the full details:

In addition, standard EULA and other restrictions apply, but not in respect of circumstances which would over-ride or negate the MSDNAA agreement. The full 'rights' accorded to the MSDNAA license holder (i.e. the institution) are:

MSDN AA Use Rights

Your rights. You may:

• have your staff make and install copies of the software on any number of servers, personal computers, and media on your premises for use pursuant to these terms; and
  • let your staff, faculty, and students use such copies, and make one additional copy on their own computer or other device, but only (a) to develop, support, conduct, or take the STEM courses, labs, or programs you offer; (b) in non-commercial STEM research on your behalf; or (c) to design, develop, test, and demonstrate software programs for the above purposes.

Restrictions.

You may not use the software:

• for commercial purposes; or
  • to develop and maintain your own administrative or IT systems.
  • Out of scope. The components listed on Exhibit 1 are NOT included in the MSDN AA program, and you must not use them unless you purchase an appropriate commercial license for them. In addition, Sections 2(a) (General), 3(c)(i) (Desktop Applications), and Section 17 (Transfer to a Third Party) in the MSDN terms are deleted

Read also the "Additional MSDNAA requirements" itemised in that document. They're the ones which not only enable but also obligate the institution to put in place local and binding restrictions of use. In particular, this bit:

If you provide the software on media to your staff, faculty, or students, you must do so only on a temporary or "loaner" basis. You must have all staff, faculty, and students to whom you provide any copies of the software agree that their use of the software is governed by these terms, regardless of any license agreement accompanying the software.

As a user who is provided a copy (given permission to install a copy on your own machine) you have of course been obliged to agree not to breach the standard and additional local EULA requirements. That isn't because you've become a license holder, though. It's because you've become a user who is authorised to use by the license holder.

Here's the full details:

In addition, standard EULA and other restrictions apply, but not in respect of circumstances which would over-ride or negate the MSDNAA agreement. The full 'rights' accorded to the MSDNAA license holder (i.e. the institution) are:

Read also the "Additional MSDNAA requirements" itemised in that document. They're the ones which not only enable but also obligate the institution to put in place local and binding restrictions of use. In particular, this bit:

As a user who is provided a copy (given permission to install a copy on your own machine) you have of course been obliged to agree not to breach the standard and additional local EULA requirements. That isn't because you've become a license holder, though. It's because you've become a user who is authorised to use by the license holder.

Granted, despite all the jargon, one reason why they have MSDN(AA?) is the informal try before you buy/first time is free thing so that you will upgrade your servers. :D

Back