MS Windows & Office Change Activation ID?

BFarm

n00b
I read through the MS License FAQ but didn't find what I was looking for.

The situation is that I have 2 computers at home that I used to use as work machines for a company. Now I no longer work for that company and they need me to release my MS product licenses.

Can I just buy some licenses for my machines and then re-activate them using new product IDs? If so, any pointers as to where to start that process within windows would be appreciated. Or do I need to reinstall my OS and Office software?

Thanks,
BFarm

Do you know what type of licenses you were using from work? E.g. Retail, OEM, Volume License?

If you currenly have Volume Licensed versions installed, then no you will not be able to simply change keys unless you purchase your own Volume License (minimum 5 licenses) and enter your assigned key.

Maaaaan, thats tough. I think it is a volume license (i.e. we used the same license for both computers, and I think there were a total of 10 uses on the license). Maybe I can call MS and ask them about it directly.

Do you know what will happen if/when the company cancels that volume license? The situation is that they lost their MS partnership and thus their 10 free licenses for Windows and Office.

BFarm said:
Maaaaan, thats tough. I think it is a volume license (i.e. we used the same license for both computers, and I think there were a total of 10 uses on the license). Maybe I can call MS and ask them about it directly.

Do you know what will happen if/when the company cancels that volume license? The situation is that they lost their MS partnership and thus their 10 free licenses for Windows and Office.

If all they had was 10 licenses, then the company had bought an Action Pack from Microsoft which requires an annual subscription fee. If the subscription is not renewed then Microsoft sends a letter out advising the company they must destroy all copies of the software and license keys are not legally entitled to continue using them.

Those licenses are not Volume and I believe are same as retail but I can't be 100% positive. You may be able to get away with simply buying a retail copy and changing keys. I would not purchase and OEM copy since keys are typically not interchangable between OEM, Retail, Volume, etc.

Thanks SJ. Is there any way I can check to see what kind of license I have and what it will be compatable with before making a purchase?

BFarm said:
Thanks SJ. Is there any way I can check to see what kind of license I have and what it will be compatable with before making a purchase?

Did your installation require activation?

Yes both the Windows and Office installations required activation.

BFarm said:
Yes both the Windows and Office installations required activation.

Activation means you do not have volume licensed copies.

Most likely they are retail and therefore should be compatible with retail licenses as far as keycodes are concerned.

Great. Now I'm off to find the lowest priced retail versions of XP Pro and Office Pro I can.

Last Question: Can you tell me where within windows I would go to change my license once I purchase new licenses? Or do I need to call MS for that?

BFarm said:
Great. Now I'm off to find the lowest priced retail versions of XP Pro and Office Pro I can.

Last Question: Can you tell me where within windows I would go to change my license once I purchase new licenses? Or do I need to call MS for that?

Office 2003
Windows XP

Back