MS Server Registration Transferrable?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
I've got a copy of MS Server 2003 "not for resale" edition that I have no use for and was wondering if I "gave" it away if it would still work and could be registered/activated by the new owner? Does MS tie these NFR editions to a database of original owners or something? Item is still boxed and never been installed or anything. I would assume MS has some kind of activation thing with it like XP.

Rustynuts said:
I've got a copy of MS Server 2003 "not for resale" edition that I have no use for and was wondering if I "gave" it away if it would still work and could be registered/activated by the new owner? Does MS tie these NFR editions to a database of original owners or something? Item is still boxed and never been installed or anything. I would assume MS has some kind of activation thing with it like XP.

Server 2003 does require activation and Microsoft does not track who has what NFR software.

Be forewarned though that because it is "NFR" it means "NOT FOR RESALE" , IOW, you should not be selling it to anyone for any reason.

Can't I give it away to friends or whatever? Do they frown on that as well? What could they really do anyway?

Rustynuts said:
Can't I give it away to friends or whatever? Do they frown on that as well? What could they really do anyway?

You can GIVE it to anyone you want, you can't *SELL* it to anyone.

What if you give it to someone and charge $2,000 shipping?

I have my box still shrinkwrapped w/25 CALS that I have no use for.

PawNtheSandman said:
What if you give it to someone and charge $2,000 shipping?

I have my box still shrinkwrapped w/25 CALS that I have no use for.

Is it an NFR version or what?

Yes it is a NFR.

People charge crazy shipping all the time, the item is free though.

Also, I see people sell their NFR's for $600 on eBay all the time, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

PawNtheSandman said:
Yes it is a NFR.

People charge crazy shipping all the time, the item is free though.

Also, I see people sell their NFR's for $600 on eBay all the time, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Read the license is all I have to say about it. The license specifically states what you can and cannot do. Whether someone can get away with charging inflated "shipping fees" is a matter I don't have any documentation on, but IMHO it wouldn't stand up in court.

What about those auctions that have you buy a Joe Schome baseball card and as an added bonus the winner of the auction will recieve a Win Server 2k3 w.25 Cals NIB?

PawNtheSandman said:
What about those auctions that have you buy a Joe Schome baseball card and as an added bonus the winner of the auction will recieve a Win Server 2k3 w.25 Cals NIB?

I'm not a lawyer, I don't profess to be, and I don't go to auction sites so I wouldn't know if such an auction even existed. Your going to have to use your best judgement given the information that you have.

People are going to do what they set their minds to do, I can only advise them, not stop them.

Plus aren't there laws that state if someone sends you something unsolicited, then it is yours? Legally then, not sure what MS could do other than put you on their sh*t list and not send any other freebies.

Rustynuts said:
Plus aren't there laws that state if someone sends you something unsolicited, then it is yours? Legally then, not sure what MS could do other than put you on their sh*t list and not send any other freebies.

You don't "own" the software, you have an NFR license that allows you to use the software.

Back