MS server/client crap navigation when copying

dandirk

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know why (or how to fix) small network operations while copying files to/from a server is so craptastic?

If I am copying a file to/from a windows 2008 file server (domain) from a Win7 client... the following is true:

• General network share navigation takes 10 seconds per new folder opened
  • Saving/opening small/tiny XML takes 30 seconds

While I don't expect other "large" or demanding network tasks to be as fast, I would think very small simple things like opening a share wouldn't be so slow just because I am copying file(s).

I previously worked in a Netware file server/Win client environment and NEVER saw these types of annoyances.

Is this just how Windows is or is there a client tweak or something I could do? I don't mind if copy speed slows down if I can at least do other simple operations.

I know its vague I just don't want to dig into this unless it is abnormal... guess I am just frustated at work in a new windows environment... wouldn't' surprise me if they have it setup wrong.

Last edited:
Are there any issues with the server connecting to the DC? Anything in the event logs (Server) that indicate long delays when the server tries to reach the DC?

Check to see what speed the network port on the server is set to. Maybe you have an issue there.

Definitely doesn't sound "normal," and certainly not indicative of the way Windows normally operates... Unfortunately there's no magic bullet to figuring out strange performance issues. It might be a performance bottleneck (hardware), misconfiguration (system, network, etc), or piece of software on the system (antivirus?), or even a driver that needs updated (you'd be amazed what kind of driver bugs only show up "under load").

Start by taking a look at metrics on the system. What do the network, disk and CPU utilization look like during the copy? There's tons of sites which will walk you through recommended performance counters and what they mean. (Google is your friend.)

Back