MS Server 2013 R2 backup software

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I have a small office that that is running server 2013 R2 and need some suggestions on backing up 5 workstations to the server. have any good suggestions?

all workstations have been upgraded to windows 10 and will be backing up the user folder only.

thanks in advance!

There's a Windows Server 2013 R2 that's already released?

Do you mean 2012 R2 by any chance?

If there is a Windows Domain and the workstations are joined to it, I would consider using that server to also host a network drive for user data. Example: at one of my workplaces every user has a U: drive that maps to \\server\Users$\%username% (this variable is set in the Active Directory User object Properties) and instruct all users that if they have important stuff that they want backed up they need to store it in the U: drive. See the Microsoft TechNet page "Security Recommendations for Roaming User Profiles Shared Folders" @ https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757013(WS.10).aspx for how to setup this shared folder on the server. All you need to take care of is making sure that the data on the server is backed up properly.

While very much possible, it would be a more costly solution to implement a backup system on individual workstations. You will spend more time and space managing this setup than if you have things centralized. TLDR; it is counter-productive. Make use of the features available to you in Windows Server. Consider this: if you setup backups on individual workstations, WHERE are you going to [store] backup to? Backing up files on the workstations to the workstations themselves is, well, not really a backup at all. Even in this case you would need a centralized networked storage server to store this data. You might as well refer to the previous paragraph for an efficient, practical, and effective solution.

BUT, if you are still so needy on this, my recommendation is using Acronis products. If workstation backups are so important and you need something reliable that you can depend on in the worst of situations -- Acronis.

Acronis Backup Advanced for PC for 5 PCs
Acronis Backup Advanced for Windows Server for 1 server

Link to above cart: https://www.acronis.com/en-us/busin...ommendations/a9806af4f77a27721768fa2d47efdcfd

Use this wizard: https://www.acronis.com/en-us/business/backup-purchase-wizard

If you look into using Acronis and have any questions / uncertainties / need a longer trial period, call up an Acronis sales representative and explain your situation, express your concerns and worries, etc. Don't leave any loose ends and make sure you get long enough testing period to become confident with their product.

Last edited:
Sorry about the typo - It is Server 2012 R2. that is a good idea! not sure how I totally missed that. I'll use my synology ds716+ with expansion to back up the server. thanks for the suggestion!

there is a domain and all workstation are joined to it.

There's a Windows Server 2013 R2 that's already released?

Do you mean 2012 R2 by any chance?

If there is a Windows Domain and the workstations are joined to it, I would consider using that server to also host a network drive for user data. Example: at one of my workplaces every user has a U: drive that maps to \\server\Users$\%username% (this variable is set in the Active Directory User object Properties) and instruct all users that if they have important stuff that they want backed up they need to store it in the U: drive. See the Microsoft TechNet page "Security Recommendations for Roaming User Profiles Shared Folders" @ https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757013(WS.10).aspx for how to setup this shared folder on the server. All you need to take care of is making sure that the data on the server is backed up properly.

While very much possible, it would be a more costly solution to implement a backup system on individual workstations. You will spend more time and space managing this setup than if you have things centralized. TLDR; it is counter-productive. Make use of the features available to you in Windows Server.

Sorry about the typo - It is Server 2012 R2. that is a good idea! not sure how I totally missed that. I'll use my synology ds716+ with expansion to back up the server. thanks for the suggestion!

there is a domain and all workstation are joined to it.
Setup the repository folder first

All three of the entries have Full Control. The $ appended to the share name makes it a hidden share (will not show up if you browse to \\echo\).
HDrive_FolderShareProperties.png

Go to the advanced NTFS permissions editor, wipe the list, and manually add the entries.
HDrive_FolderNTFSProperties.png

(in case Microsoft's instructions are confusing)
HDrive_FolderNTFSProperties_AuthenticatedUsers.png

Then modify User object properties. When you input this information, it should automatically create the folder ('doe.john' in this case) in the share.
HDrive_UserProperties.png

As always, test first before rolling it out to everyone else. Create a couple test users to verify that this works and that they can't access each other's profile folder. Domain Admins shouldn't have any issues accessing user folders, but ordinary non-Domain Admin users shouldn't be able to access each others' folders.

(EDIT: those screenshots are from a 2008 R2 server. I have setup the same thing on a 2012 R2 server before as well.)

Last edited:
Agree with what Cerulean posted, use normal file shares, that's what the server is for.
You can have the private home folders and also public file shares.

Trying to manage backups for each workstation instead of using file shares is not good
practice and is not recommended. It turns into a mess over time and you actually have
a bigger chance of losing data that way.

Obviously once all data is centralized on the server, you need a good backup plan for
the server. Both local and 'cloud' backups are a good way to go.

Back