MS Office vs. Open Office vs. Corel WordPerfect Office

Discussion in 'General Software' started by spotdog14, Oct 11, 2005.

1. spotdog14

spotdog14 [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, so i want everyones impressions on the various Office Suites.

I personally if i had hte money would go for the Microsoft Office Pro series. I for one, think MS Word is one of the most refined word processing applications avalible. And coming a very close second is Open Office. I find my self having many problems trying to do somthing in Word, or Word crashing, so i switch over to my trusty free Open Office.

As for Corel and WordPerfect, my experiance is that it is way over priced, and is basically on the level of "word pad".

I am attempting to have the company i work for tranition from MS Office to Open Office, but just for a control i thought i might throw in Corel.

So what are your guy's and gal's thoughts on the various office apps?

2. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr [H]ardness Supreme

Openoffice is an extemely close second to MS-office and that is for one thing

Calc's graphing wizzard: It is horrendous. As an engineer I need to admend graphas add new plots... and it is soo hard with openoffice

There is suppose to be a more MS-wizzard with OO-2.1 so until then Openofffice is 2nd
    When the new wizzard is shipped it takes first place very quickly and by a signifcant margin

3. Carlosinfl

Carlosinfl Loves the juice

I use Open Office myself and find it very nice. I do a lot of troubleshooting in Mircrosoft Office and it always manages to crash on me for some reason.

I have never used Word Perfect.

4. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

I havent tried the latest MS Office, but im very happy with OO1.9. All it needs is the writer to have grammar check and such, and its golden.

5. Carlosinfl

Carlosinfl Loves the juice

I work for a company in support of the US DoD and since we have switched from Office 2003 Pro to OO1.9, it has been so quiet and I don't know if its due to less usage or just users have less problems but something has changes.

;)

6. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g 2[H]4U

OpenOffice hands down. You can't beat Open Source...it's as simple as that. :)

7. FanZ

FanZ [H]ard|Gawd

yah, not everyone can afford legal Office softwares.. OO for me.

8. The Bryophyte

The Bryophyte Gawd

I prefer MS Office mainly because of programs like powerpoint and excel that are significantly more functional than their open office equivalents. Open office is also a bit of a system hog in my experience, but it is by far the best price/performance for a suite.

9. USMC2Hard4U

USMC2Hard4U [H]ardness Supreme

MS Office 2003 SP2 for the win. But Then again, I didnt pay for it. Work bought me a personal Copy for work while at home, so you cant beat that.

10. SiathLinux

SiathLinux Limp Gawd

Open Office - for both Linux and Windows....it rocks, it can save is MS Office, it can save as WP, and it can open pretty much any type of text based file...
    However Corel gets my vote on the Quattro vs Excell vs Open Office Calc....Quattro is the 'easiest' to use and seems to have more usable features, although OO is a very close second.

11. NulloModo

NulloModo [H]ardness Supreme

I use StarOffice at home (older version of OO, I should get around to upgrading sometime), and I love it, solid, works well, has all the features I want.

I used Microsoft Office at work because it was already installed on the computer.

12. peacetilence

peacetilence 2[H]4U

I tried using open office and other open source programs for excel but many of them ruin the formatting of MS-Office created documents or are simple lacking nessicary features so I had to use MS Office. Open source is great, it's just that it usually never quite matches up to the thing it's trying to emulate.

13. sirholio

sirholio [H]ardness Supreme

we use office for work and I use it for home as well. I have no real reason to use anything else.

14. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

Is Open Office is free ?

15. BillLeeLee

BillLeeLee [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes, open source ftw.

www.openoffice.org

I just installed 2.0 on my Linux system - still has some quirks, but eh, good enough to read my class docs. I use Office 2K3 on my desktop at home, just because I received it through school.

16. nigerian_businessman

nigerian_businessman [H]ard|Gawd

For word processing, OO all the way. I couldn't live without the export to PDF feature, its such a time saver and it amazes me that MS missed the boat on it.

17. sirholio

sirholio [H]ardness Supreme

pdf printer driver works just fine for that. no need to put it in the program. Though, i've heard that they will be doing it for their next release.

18. DanK

DanK Gawd

Yeah, there are programs that pretend to be a printer to Windows, so you can make PDFs from any program that prints. Goodle PDF Creator or CutePDF.