MS Office 2010

cherrypik

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
I just picked up office 10 and installed the 64 bit version. Then i googled and was reading about many compatible issues with 64 bit version. Have these been fixed or Should I uninstall 64 bit and install the 32bit version?

Thanks!

If you don't use any add-ins for Office it won't be a problem and even then a lot of things that hook add-ons into Office work properly even with 64-bit now. Unless you know of specific reason you shouldn't have any problems but at the same time you won't notice any real differences between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions. One of the biggest benefits is for Excel users, the row limit and size of spreadsheet is only limited to memory now.

Are you sure you installed the 64 bit version, and instead just installed on a x64 bit OS? Launch Word and go to File->Help and it will tell you if it's 32 or 64 bit version of office.

Either way, Microsoft itself does not recommend the 64 bit version, which is funny since they make it. I suppose the best answer is, if you need the 64 bit version of office, you'll know it. If you don't know if you need it or not, you don't.

So by that logic, people should be using 32-bit Windows.
Few people truly require 64-bit applications but it's nice to have if the application doesn't use 32-bit plugins/addons. The main advantage to 64-bit is of course the greater memory allocation and I'm pretty sure most people have 4GB or more in their system.

Just install the x86/32-bit version. Unless you absolutely need the 64-bit version for something very specific that requires its capabilities, no need to use it. Only saying this because of the recommendations made from Microsoft -- not basing this off actual experience in having problems using the 64-bit version. I'm using the 32-bit version on 64-bit Windows 7 and haven't had any problems with Office, except for an infamous Outlook bug that involves opening a letter under Outbox and attempting to change the e-mail address I want to send that letter from.

Since I don't really know, the best thing I guess in advice to you is to try the 64-bit version. If you ever run into problems, no harm in reinstalling Office 2010 as the 32-bit version.

Back