MS Needs Your Help with 8.1 Update Blue Screens

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is looking for a solution to the issue plaguing users upgrading to Windows 8.1. The mystery bug will roll the installation back to a blue screen, halting the upgrade installation. After weeks of unsuccessful testing, Microsoft is turning to its user base for a solution.

Because after two weeks of trying, Microsoft still hasn't figured out what's causing the problem, and your input may help.

I wonder if this affecting mainly pre-built/retail systems than custom ones. So many manufacturers install so much bloatware on computers that it is ridiculous and perhaps that could be the source of some of the problems.

Did they supply details where to send the invoice for doing their work for them? Didn't think so.

^LOL so they want us to find a solution, free of course, but are disclosing which systems are affected. ....im guessing I figured why they can`t diagnose this issue effectively.

I'll GLADLY help MS QA their own crappy product. What do the by-the-hour pay their own QA people? Wage negotiations will start there.

^LOL so they want us to find a solution, free of course, but are disclosing which systems are affected. ....im guessing I figured why they can`t diagnose this issue effectively.

I cant edit my post, so Ill repost with the correction.
^LOL so they want us to find a solution, free of course, but are not disclosing which systems are affected. ....im guessing I figured why they can`t diagnose this issue effectively.

Man the hate here is just so rabid, considering these blue screens are a small portion and have been apart of Windows since the beginning, you'd think this is something new!

Zomg a company trying to fix a problem even if they can't reproduce it, lol losers!

Sure I'll help out.

Step #1 Download Ubuntu.
Step #2 Burn onto DVD or create USB stick.
Step #3 Format C:\
Step #4 Install
I'm not sure that's going to help out most people, especially when something goes wrong, or the user's hardware and nearly all of the software they know are incompatible. Desktop Linux is great for terminals for public use and wannabe *nix sysadmins.

lol linux zealotry. Check out my hammer "shoe box" and hammer "pillow"!

I'm not sure that's going to help out most people, especially when something goes wrong, or the user's hardware and nearly all of the software they know are incompatible. Desktop Linux is great for terminals for public use and wannabe *nix sysadmins.

Yeah Linux is so complex :)

I have the solution , call it Windows 8.2 and just change it back to 8.0 no more problems :)

I do know that 8.1 will sometimes have problems because for some reason, it cannot always change the size of the system partition. This will crash the install.

I've only seen it on one machine, but what is weird, is that computer has a "brother"; an identical HP Touchsmart All-in-One. Both had new SSD's installed prior to upgrading from Vista64 to Win8-64. Then the 8>8.1 install crashed on just one of them. By manually editing the system partition from 100mb to 250? mb, the install finally worked.

PS - None of the other machines (all have SSD's) saw this bug. MS help desk could not resolve it. 2 techs tried and failed.

I do know that 8.1 will sometimes have problems because for some reason, it cannot always change the size of the system partition. This will crash the install.

I've only seen it on one machine, but what is weird, is that computer has a "brother"; an identical HP Touchsmart All-in-One. Both had new SSD's installed prior to upgrading from Vista64 to Win8-64. Then the 8>8.1 install crashed on just one of them. By manually editing the system partition from 100mb to 250? mb, the install finally worked.

I hope you mean Gigabyte ? Because a windows operating system on 100MB or 250MB is just science fiction :)

No, if you look at your partitions, there is a very small partition for system. Usually 100mb for most Win7 machines.

Hard to believe they cant determine the cause of a blue screen!
What has happened to MS?

The blue screen is your hardware's way of aborting anymore Windows 8 molesting.

Yet another reason why I'll stick with 7 Pro, least it works and works well.

Ah, the countless hours of life lost debugging BSOD in past MS OS's. I've decided not to continue adding to that total.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I just updated yesterday from 8 to 8.1 and had no issues other then BF 4 plug-ins and IE 11 but I already found a fix for it.

I have no problems with the upgrade. May be some defective hardware...

it's only natural that a new upgrade would break some things. Mavericks breaks stuff too.

I didn't have any install problems with the 8.1 upgrade, but 8.1 did break things. Had to re-install my drivers for my Corsair Vengeance 2000 and tweak the playback settings in iTunes (can't use Direct Sound or else it pooches the playback of any audio or video), and that's what I've found out so far since the update. Thanks, Microsoft.

Most "users" I know now that would be stumped by linux are typically only using their machines for web browsing.

It's one of the reasons PC sales are down so much and tablets are up. People don't really want much more.

Desktop linux is great for a lot of things. It's a decent HTPC and saves money on windows licensing costs, it's far better than windows for open source development, it's good on older hardware, and it makes a good VM host if you've got a fast machine and need to run a few environments. Windows is pretty good too at least up through 7. I still don't really like 8 even after 8.1 but I'm slowly adjusting.

My parents would have no problem if I switched them to Mint or Ubuntu, but I have no real reason to touch the parts in their 7 year old computer. When it dies they'll probably replace it with a tablet or chromebook or something. Outside of business use and gamers, what most people do on computers now is OS agnostic.

I have FAR more issues with the peripheral accessories like consumer wireless routers and bullshit printers they sell now than my operating systems. I feel like 75+% of the consumer routers I've had have been absolute shit.

I fixed it by staying with windows 7. You know, the one made for PCs.
Since I have yet to change over, my win 7 is also running great. hehe

Win 8 runs good as a VM to mess around with and see how it works.

It's one of the reasons PC sales are down so much and tablets are up. People don't really want much more.
Arguably users want more than just web browsing, but they're finding that 1) it's something which can be provided in a platform agnostic way (i.e. apps) and/or 2) the PC/Windows ecosystem, particularly what MS has set up, still does not provide 1). The number of consumers needing to go through the PC upgrade cycle is really being decimated by the rise of smartphones and non-Windows tablets. It's not really a problem for most remaining consumer PC users yet. The future consumer PC ecosystem is likely to suffer as fewer users can support a much smaller array of hardware and software makers.

(Not suggesting it will "die" because the business side has held up well and can still support the larger ODMs of parts and system which also are big names on the consumer side.)

I didn't have any install problems with the 8.1 upgrade, but 8.1 did break things. Had to re-install my drivers for my Corsair Vengeance 2000 and tweak the playback settings in iTunes (can't use Direct Sound or else it pooches the playback of any audio or video), and that's what I've found out so far since the update. Thanks, Microsoft.

My Vengeance 2000's were unaffected. I also don't touch the train wreck known as "iTunes", so I can't comment on that. Could be an isolated incident. Also, I wouldn't call that "breaking" things. A simple driver reinstall and settings change? Please... That takes 45 seconds.

So don't use the abominations known as iAnything. Problem solved for that one.

I have no problems with the upgrade. May be some defective hardware...

it's only natural that a new upgrade would break some things. Mavericks breaks stuff too.
Your statement is inappropriate, its not that they broke something, they dont know how to fix their brainchild.
You sound like a shill, why else would you call MS Mavericks.

Its easy, until one finds a solutuion, you have to restart in safe mode, and run Check Disk, (maybe somebody can create a script for the installation,) and then everything Is right

check disk
Install/Upgrade
check disk
continue installing
ceck disk

Maybe is only one check disk, but im not sure where is brokening things up.-

Hope it helps, that's how I fix it! ;)

Max.-
Total and Digital Network management.-

If I had experienced the problem, I would be more than happy to offer any solution I found. The way some of you make it sound would be like this: I am a computer professional so I will make sure to send the bill to H for any help I offer on hear.

When you offer to help, you are not just helping Microsoft but those who are also running into the issue. Of course, why should you help anyone unless there is something you get out of it, eh? :rolleyes:

Back