MS IE7 Final Released to Public

Thanks, I'm downloading and installing right now :)

i tried ie7 in vista rc1 and rc2. is there that much of a difference from those versions? i still preferred FF after the fact.

Yup...This pushed me over the edge, Firefox here I come. I'm sure Vista will push me over the edge to move to Linux on all my computers too.

acascianelli said:
Yup...This pushed me over the edge, Firefox here I come. I'm sure Vista will push me over the edge to move to Linux on all my computers too.

uh what? :confused:

number69 said:
This looks like the final version on the MS site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

Having never played with any of the betas or test releases, I can say this is VERY weird. The tabbed browing seems strange compared to Firefox and the seemingly arbitrary placement of all the buttons doesn't help either. I'll fool around with it but I don't think it will replace Firefox.

Is there any way to get rid of the Live Search thing? I don't need that box there.

There are problems with compatibility while surfing with this. I just tried to search for jobs on PepsiCo site and it will not recognize the browser. It will not allow me to see the available jobs because it is not IE6.

Scream And Fly said:
Okay, dumb question - I have IE7 RC1 on my machine. Do I have to uninstall it first?

I believe it can upgrade without problems. I did personnally the same and it worked well.

Xilikon said:
I believe it can upgrade without problems. I did personnally the same and it worked well.

Actually, under RC1 of Vista (53XX I believe), IE7 will NOT upgrade to the final version.

I will take a screen shot of it later for posterity, but the error message I recieved was:

"This is an imcompatible or unsupported OS"

---
Btw: The link I have at the top is NON-Yahoo one.

I don't hate it nor do I like it better than what I had at this point. Not being able to move the various bars is a pain. Guess on a different note I was also amused that while installing it it had to check to see if I had a legal version of windows. Nice touch there MS..

The interface is bizarre now (no menu bar?), but now I can finally ditch supporting IE6 with my websites. Good riddance to CSS hacks.

SuperSubZero said:
Having never played with any of the betas or test releases, I can say this is VERY weird. The tabbed browing seems strange compared to Firefox and the seemingly arbitrary placement of all the buttons doesn't help either.

When I installed the beta, I felt the same way. But after using it for a week or so, I found myself liking the layout a lot more than IE6 or Firefox.

abudhu said:
Actually, under RC1 of Vista (53XX I believe), IE7 will NOT upgrade to the final version.

I will take a screen shot of it later for posterity, but the error message I recieved was:

"This is an imcompatible or unsupported OS"

---
Btw: The link I have at the top is NON-Yahoo one.

Don't mix 2 things...

We are talking about IE7 for XP, and my experience was within XP, not Vista. For Vista, we must wait for MS to release a new RC with the final IE7 included.

Xilikon said:
Don't mix 2 things...

We are talking about IE7 for XP, and my experience was within XP, not Vista. For Vista, we must wait for MS to release a new RC with the final IE7 included.

*Bonks head*
Duh, mis-read it. Saw RC1 and started thinking Vista RC1. Lol.

btw, if you havent heard yet, there has already been a compromise on it!

article

i hate to do this but....MS, secure your stuff!! this is getting tiresome...
/sigh

And now the website to get IE7 from the "Exploring Windows" e-mail tries to infect you with the zulu worm.

acascianelli said:
I hate it...

So you are going to abandon windows completely because Microsoft released an optional upgrade to one of Windows' components? :rolleyes:

i downloaded it earlier and have been using it since. i like the new interface, the placement of the buttons, etc. i have to agree not seeing the menu bar is odd and not being able to change the place of certain things is annoying but overall i like it

it's actually quite nice, i would call it an equal to Firefox functionally, aesthetically, because of the inability to change the looks, it sucks, but thats not a deal breaker for me

i use both, i never get popups from either anymore which is nice

now IE6.......it's sucks from the word go

Is it just me or does going to this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx infected with a virus? I am personally waiting for windows update to give me ie7, but wanted to check if there were an x64 version availiable, when clicking on that link from shacknews I got a avast popped up a virus warning I noticed AOM.exe running, and explorer.exe just now started using an abnormal amount of cpu (killed) process already.

Edit: In win2k scanning now, maybe some one screwed my comp up when I was gone today. =(

Nope, just clicked it in win2k, same virus. False positive maybe?

Info VBS:Zulu - http://rad.microsoft.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd=&PG=CMSIE3&SC=F3&AP=1164

I think aom.exe is harmless from adobe (although I have seen aol.exe named as aom.exe before) and this is likely a false positive.

Lord of Shadows said:
Is it just me or does going to this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx infected with a virus? I am personally waiting for windows update to give me ie7, but wanted to check if there were an x64 version availiable, when clicking on that link from shacknews I got a avast popped up a virus warning I noticed AOM.exe running, and explorer.exe just now started using an abnormal amount of cpu (killed) process already.

I get the same thing. Avast did an update today, might be a false positive, we'll have to see when Avast does it's next update.

Back