MS Flight Sim @ 1440 what's the right upgrade? (CPU/GPU bound?) 4090?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I'm not overly familiar with MSFS and the details of it's performance metrics (GPU/CPU bound?). I do know that some people are saying that DLSS3 is helping, which makes the 4k series cards look good.

Anyone really into MSFS that can comment? I'm advising a friend who's really into the game, and he's considering one of the new GPUs, but I don't know enough to tell him whether he's likely to see 'worthy' improvement from a GPU update or if he should put his money elsewhere.

He's presently running 3900x, 16gb RAM (bought in 2021, don't remember the speed) and a 3070 pushing a 240hz 1440p

Has he played since the 40th anniversary patch dropped? DX12 performance sees upward of a 25% improvement with the latest patch as it made the game a little less CPU-dependent. That said, a 4090 should be at least twice as fast as the 3070 in MSFS, if not faster.

a 25% improvement with the latest patch as it made the game a little less CPU-dependent.
Thanks - will have to look into that and ask him. I'd be interested to see what kind of optimizations the dev team did to improve performance. (Back when the game came out and he bought his rig... I was surprised at how 'marginal' it seemed from a framerate perspective... but MSFS seemed to do that to a lot of rigs back then. Haven't looked since - but he's interested in an upgrade and I'm curious as to these improvements!).

Could i run it ok with a 7700x 32 gigs of ram ddr5 6000 and a sapphire 6800? win 10 pro?

Could i run it ok with a 7700x 32 gigs of ram ddr5 6000 and a sapphire 6800? win 10 pro?
Yes! It will run it very well. My kids pc has a 10600k with 3070ti and it runs very well. Your build will do just fine.

Reactions: drfi
like this
Back