MRTG

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
Our customer wants us to set up MRTG so that he can monitor our servers.

Is there an easier (free) way out there to configure this for 20+ servers? A script or something?

I am the only SE and really do not have the time to sit down and configure PerfMon logs for every server then create the CFG file, etc.

P.S. this is a windows domain

If you get the appropriate SNMP settings setup, then build the proper config file for MRTG, you can just copy, paste & replace your IP info. This would assume that all your servers are the same OS.

Depending on what you are doing, if you can feed MRTG the appropriate MIB file, you can batch run the creation of all the configs and web files.

We have a mix of 2000/2003

This might be something I need to bite the bullet on and just come in on the weekend.

Are there any alternatives to MRTG that serve the same purpose?

forget MRTG> look at cacti. uses the sam RRD tool but has a lot of the templates build out for you. Look at the support forms. they have templates you can import for most systems.

www.cacti.net

For real-time bandwidth, PRTG is way easier to set up than MRTG. More than 3 servers and you have to pay for a version, but its dirt cheap.

For comprehensive network monitoring of both windows and linux servers (and most any component/service running on them), we use Hyperic HQ - which is totally free.

If you are looking at implementing MRTG I would instead recommend looking at Cacti. It's the next generation of MRTG. We use it to monitor 40 switches, 15 routers, and about 20 servers.

Thanks guys!

We are on SIPRNET so we have to be careful what we install. I will check out the previous suggestions and if there are any others, please feel free to post!

Just for reference, since I had to look this up

SIPRNet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from SIPRNET)
Jump to: navigation, search

The SIPRNet (Secret [formerly Secure] Internet Protocol Router Network) is a system of interconnected computer networks used by the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of State to transmit classified information (up to and including information classified SECRET) by packet switching over the TCP/IP protocols in a "completely secure" environment. It also provides services such as hypertext documents and electronic mail. In other words, the SIPRNet is the DoD’s classified version of the civilian Internet together with its counterpart, the Top Secret and SCI Joint Worldwide Intelligence Communications System, JWICS.

Except for existing within a secure environment, the SIPRNet is virtually indistinguishable from the Internet to the user. Its chief visible difference is the domain name system, with almost all sites being under '.smil.mil' or '.sgov.gov' . Among its many features, computers cleared for SIPRNet access connect to the network via secure dial-up or LAN connections, access web pages written in standard HTML using a standard web browser, can upload and download files via FTP connections, and can send or receive email messages through SMTP services using email programs such as Microsoft Outlook. All data transmitted on SIPRNet between secure facilities must be encrypted by approved NSA encryption systems. While the public Internet can be used to transmit encrypted SIPRNet packets ("SIPR over NIPR"), no access is permitted between the two networks.

SIPRNet and NIPRnet are referred to colloquially as SIPR (pronounced 'sipper') and NIPR (pronounced 'nipper'), respectively.

SIPRNet supersedes the earlier DSNET 1, the SECRET level of the Defense Data Network based on ARPANET technology.

Back