• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MPX2 and July, 2003 BIOS?....unknown cpu

VitoB

n00b
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
22
I've searched the forums here but I still have a small problem here:

I'm assembling another MPX2 rig here.......
My MPX2 bios dated July 2003 is not showing my newly modded and installed XP2800s as MPs.
BIOS screen only says " Unknown CPU"...1660mhz.
APIC is set to enabled.
I've swapped out both cpus......and did a single cpu boot. Still not recognizing them as MPs.

Am I missing something here? Is this BIOS the right one?
Do I need to shut up and load my XP Pro and see if it fixes the problem?
 
Are these bartons with the 166MHz fsb? If so it sounds like you need to crank up the fsb since the mpx2 defaults to 133MHz. The 2800 bartons have a 12.5 multiplier, and 12.5*133 gives 1660MHz, so this is my guess.
 
I'll give that a shot. CPUS are 166fsb
Wont upping the 166 FSB cause my rig to be a bit unstable?
 
yes..

or you need to change the multiplier(if you can) to make the factory spec'd clockspeed.
 
You have a few problems here. The Barton CPUs are of a 333MHz bus variety and the MPX chipset only supports a 266MHz bus. You need to raise the multiplier of the CPU, but since there is a good chance your chips are locked you may be SOL. The locked chips really did not hurt a lot of overclockers because they all have NF2 400 boards and it not really a problem, but for us it is because we need the higher multipliers for our overclocks because of our FBS limit.

What is the week code and stepping of the CPUs? If they were made before week 39 of last year then you should be able to wire the socket to get a higher multiplier. 15.5 will give you close to what the default speed is, but I would just go ahead and set it at 16.
 
I flashed the May 2003 BIOS and now have MPS showing.

As far as that wire in the socket mod.....I had bad luck with my K7D doing that.
What size wires do you guys use?
I used single strands off of a IDE cable.....very tiny-hairlike strands....
What's the tricks of the trade here?
 
You should probably be able to search forums.2cpu.com for a way to unlock the multipliers.

The mpx2 is typically a pretty good overclocker. Depending on your cooling you might try altering the fsb. That is completely up to you though since you are correct in saying it might make your system unstable.
 
I use shilding from a piece of coax. Stop by your local Radio Shack and ask them for one inch of RG6 or whatever coax they have on hand. Should be free. Strip off the outside and now you have hundreds of pieces of wire to use. I have a non toothed pair if needle nose plyers that I insert one piece of wire in, only enough for it to go down into the socket, fold over the top of the pliers and then snip with nail clippers. Done.
 
Back
Top