MPEG2 Codec missing Error code C00D10D1

rivrbyte

Limp Gawd
Windows Home XP (2002) MSI Platinum P-35/Intel Core2Q6600-2.4GHz/ Corsair 3.3GB DDR2 Ram/Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB/ Pinnacle Studio MovieBoard 12.1 / Winamp V.5.572 /Windows Media player 11./ FLV Player.

After completion of a few 4 minute MPEG2 home videos, I could get it to play back on the following media players.
Winamp-Click on it and can not see the file size to the right.
Windows Media Player- Error code C00D10D1 Windows media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or a required codec might mot be installed on your computer".
FLV Player- nothing...tells me it's loading media, but I gave up after waiting five minutes.

I previously had NERO installed, then reformatted the HDD and reinstalled Windows Home XP, updated Windows media player, upgraded XP to SP3, downloaded latest version of Winamp, which I primarily use to playback videos, and music. I do need a burning software program, and have had numerous versions of both Roxio and Nero. (still have them) Nero 11 being the latest. There are pros and cons to both programs and basically boils down to personal preference, I don't want to go out and buy the new Roxio program.

Have to agree with MPC-HC recommendation. Media playback in XP can get tricky since you have to install 3rd party codecs which can muck with an otherwise good system. MPC-HC had it's own built-in codecs which limits any potential conflicts. VLC is another one to think about it, but I can't stand it's interface.

I may be wrong here, but WMP should play MPEG2 video out-of-the-box. In what container are the videos in?

Back