MPEG-4 on Xbox360 ?

I converted some videos over to MP4 and was trying to watch them through my xbox360, but when I go into the folder that the videos are in, it just says "no videos found":confused: I was pretty sure that Xbox360, would play MPEG-4...Any thoughts on why this is happening ?

Change the extension to AVI and see if that helps.

yea, I tried that already. but it didn't work, its pissing me off. I spent all this time coverting the whole Dragon Ball serious to .MP4 from .rmvb and now I can't watch in except on my PC and iPod touch...

All of my movies I play on my 360 are MP4, I have never once had an issue.

edit. Do not convert fully to MP4, waste of time. Use GotSent to strip the old audio/video from the old container and put into an MP4 one. I did over 100 MKVs, at 20 minutes each. Re-encoding would have been 4-6 hours each.

edit. Do not convert fully to MP4, waste of time. Use GotSent to strip the old audio/video from the old container and put into an MP4 one. I did over 100 MKVs, at 20 minutes each. Re-encoding would have been 4-6 hours each.

ok i tried that, but the files I'm trying to covert are in .rmvb and that program wont covert from that. Any other ideas ?

Last edited:
Damn, I need to slow down...I read this as "MGS4 on XBOX 360" lol

Run PS3 Media Server and just host the files on your PC. It will convert (in real time) everthing to a format that the PS3 and 360 can read.

ok i tried that, but the files I'm trying to covert are in .rmvb and that program wont covert from that. Any other ideas ?

Hmm you're right, GotSent only converts MKV to MP4. As mentioned try Playstation Media Server (works on 360) or TVersity to transcode video from your PC to your 360. The only downside is that you have video degradation when transcoded, though most people do not see it.

Depends how picky you are.

I converted some videos over to MP4 and was trying to watch them through my xbox360, but when I go into the folder that the videos are in, it just says "no videos found":confused: I was pretty sure that Xbox360, would play MPEG-4...Any thoughts on why this is happening ?
Issue is how Windows Vista/7 shares them. Try copying one to a usb drive and see if you can play it locally, if you can there are several articles relating to configuring windows to display them properly.

Nice, I'll try this. I usually download WMV-HD movies since they easily play on the 360 across the network but a lot of movies are MKV and I have a few so I'll have to try out that program.

Nice, I'll try this. I usually download WMV-HD movies since they easily play on the 360 across the network but a lot of movies are MKV and I have a few so I'll have to try out that program.

At least pretend like you're trying to do something legitimate. Nobody will/should help you if you are just trying to pirate.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

If you have MKV, GotSent is what you want. It will quickly return them as MP4s, which stream natively to the 360 and look amazing. I currently stream all of my 1080p MP4s from my computer to my 360 over freaking powerline adapters for the life of me I cannot see any degradation of quality. :D

xvid and avi is what i use for windows media center to the xbox always works fine for me

Make sure you actually have the Xbl codec pack, i had this problem in the past its not already on the dashboard you need to download it separate.

Are there any workarounds for getting gotsent to do 5.1 sound on the 360?

Right now I'm converting for PS3(5.1) and expecting it to fail miserably when I try to play it on my 360. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of current info for this app, probably since it hasn't been updated in over a year.

So right now is there any easy way to get a 1080p MKV with a 5.1/7.1 DDHD/DTS-HD soundtrack into some sort of 360/PS3 friendly format (if not MP4 then what about WMV even?) without sacrificing the sound? Every conversion seems to make the sound into plain stereo no matter what. I'm willing to live with 5.1 DD/DTS quality for now but NOT stereo :(

This has been driving me bonkers for a short while now since I made a WHS and backed up some HDDVDs & BRs. The MKVs play perfect on the PCs and transcoding is fugly most of the time I've noticed.

"makes rant about MS not adding MKV playback support in the big dashboard update*
:mad:

I'm not aware of any 5.1 solution yet :( I'm stuck with GotSent and stereo ...

MS needs to give it up and support MKV. I'm not extremely familiar with MKV; are there many variations to the MKV format? The only reason I'd think MS wouldn't want to support it is if the format didn't have strict specs thus making it difficult to support.

MS needs to give it up and support MKV. I'm not extremely familiar with MKV; are there many variations to the MKV format? The only reason I'd think MS wouldn't want to support it is if the format didn't have strict specs thus making it difficult to support.

No worse then AVI. Most MKVs use h286(sorry if I screwed up the number) video codecs and some form of AC3/DTS or other codecs like FLAC or even DD-HD/DTS-HD 7.1 streams. Well at least the backups I make into MKVs did.

I think most people would be content enough to have that codec and DD/DTS 5.1 as a minimum for sound. I take it the MP4/M4V format cannot handle 1080p and 5.1 sound otherwise it would be doing that and not defaulting to stereo no matter what, at least it seems like it no matter what I tell handbrake to do :(

I just use the Win 7 media centre extender and don't worry about converting anything. I've come across very few avi/mpg/mkv videos that don't play. All I needed extra was:
http://labs.divx.com/node/8477
and
http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter

That's it, mkvs play perfectly through the extender. Extender interface is a million times better than the basic 360 video interface as well.

Only thing it doesn't seem to like is DTS audio. But 5.1 AC3 seems to work fine through the extender, even though it doesn't when played on the 360 directly.

Is that a free Divx pack or a free for 30 days then you have to pay one? I tried a Divx something or other before and it never worked and wanted me to pay. I will give it another shot though!

Just an update, I tried the freebie Divx installer last night. While the the video seemed to come in alright, the sound was still defaulting to stereo and then the entire process kept pausing after 20 seconds in for a few seconds, play a sec, pause again, etc. Not happening.

I'm going to try this later for the heck of it.

Also I'm going to finish that HTPC build I keep thinking of because then I will have no more transcoding or lame duck format/device issues :(

So right now is there any easy way to get a 1080p MKV with a 5.1/7.1 DDHD/DTS-HD soundtrack into some sort of 360/PS3 friendly format (if not MP4 then what about WMV even?) without sacrificing the sound? Every conversion seems to make the sound into plain stereo no matter what. I'm willing to live with 5.1 DD/DTS quality for now but NOT stereo :(

This has been driving me bonkers for a short while now since I made a WHS and backed up some HDDVDs & BRs. The MKVs play perfect on the PCs and transcoding is fugly most of the time I've noticed.

"makes rant about MS not adding MKV playback support in the big dashboard update*
:mad:

I use multiavchd it will mux the video, but keeping the audio intact (no transcoding of dd/ true HD to ac3 unless you choose to do so )

Last edited:
it will show up. You have to edit the registry so the mp4 will display in the library. Also, you need to make sure its the correct profile. A quick google search doesn't show up anything, but its there. WMP11 mp4 registry patch.

Back