• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MPEG-2 Nero Codec?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,461
I'm trying to encode a movie in MPEG-2 format. I found a program that converts just about any type of media to MPEG-2, but the codec worries me. Under properties it says it is encoded with the Nero Audio/Video Codecs. The movies plays perfectly on my computer, but I have the most recent version of Nero burning software. Will this work on a computer without Nero software?

EDIT - Just tried it on a computer without Nero, it said "Error Downloading Codec," but after I closed the error message it played just fine! This worries me ever more, I'm trying to perfect converting before I shell out $330 for a Zen Vision:M. Since this is a media player and has limited codecs, I'm worried that my movies won't play in my $330 toy.
 
Videora Xbox360 Converter.

It automatically uses a Nero codec for the audio and video, doesn't give me the option to change.
 
All right, figured it out. Best I can tell, MPEG-2 codecs are an across-the-board compatibility codec; as long as you have an MPEG-2 codec installed, you can play any MPEG-2 regaurdless of how it was encoded. I encoded this on my desktop with the Nero Codec, and it played on my laptop with a freeware codec and it played on my sister's computer with a codec that came free with WinDVD.

I now have a new problem. I converted Sahara to MPEG and it plays fine on all three systems. I tried converting National Treasure to MPEG and my brother tried converting The Incredibles to MP4 and both had a very large latency between the audio and video. What's up with this?

EDIT: All right, experimenting with VirtualDub I found that the audio/video was exactly one second out of synch (video happened 1000ms before the audio). I can correct it with VirtualDub...but how do I save the final video now that I've fixed it?
 
You can do the conversion and sync it up after it's done, esp if you save it to elementary streams.
 
Back
Top