mPCIe Bluetooth 4.0 Card?

muzicman82

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I have a Dell Precision M6500 which I love. What I don't love right now is that the Dell 365 Bluetooth chip is crappy and software doesn't or barely works in Windows 8.

What I would like to do is add in a mPCIe Bluetooth 4.0 card. I have two extra slots, though one is a placeholder for my built-in Logitech Anywhere Receiver.

I can't seem to find any that aren't WiFi AND Bluetooth. I have an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 WiFi card and really like it. It is FAST. I don't know how it compares to other cards, but its one of the few I've seen with 3x3 antennas.

Looking for suggestions on cards with CURRENT Windows 8.1 software and Bluetooth 4.0. I suppose it would work to add in a card with WiFi and Bluetooth if the WiFi NIC could be disabled and Bluetooth still be on. Also, hopefully Bluetooth doesn't need an antenna.

Ideas?

The Intel 6235 and 7260 are N cards that also include bluetooth but they are 2x2. Is your WAP or router 3x3 and you're actually taking advantage of that feature with the 6300?

There's also the AC 7260 with bluetooth.

Maybe use a tiny USB BT4.0 adapter?

I'm not sure about that Precision model, but many Dell (and Lenovo and other large OEMs) use whitelists which lock out most mini PCIe WiFi cards.

I would be very surprised if this machine has a white list. The 6300 I am using now wasn't offered, I got that from Amazon the day I got the laptop.

Maybe a tiny USB would work if I can fit it with another one of those mPCIe headers I used for the Logitech mod. The problem there is the mPCIe doesn't provide USB power.

The Dell 365 module that is built in to the LCD screen lid. Any chance there are other models that fit that push on molex connector? I believe that is hooked up internally via USB.

At home I use a 7260 with an AC router. I get about 780Mb/sec,

Back