MPC-HC 1.7.0 now comes with LAV filters

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
With the release of version 1.7.0, the internal filters have been replaced with LAV filters, which should make many [H]ard users happy:

http://mpc-hc.org/2013/09/29/1.7.0-released/

I recall there was some issue with 64-bit versions of MPC-HC so I was using the 32-bit version even though I have Win7 64-bit, but I no longer remember what that issue was. Does anyone know if that issue still relevant?

Since I am totally paranoid about video filters and codecs, does this fuck anything up if I already have LAV filters installed? My configuration is perfect right now (LAV and MadVR), so I'd hate to mess anything up.

Also, when the hell is MPC going to fix their broken audio renderer?

Since I am totally paranoid about video filters and codecs, does this fuck anything up if I already have LAV filters installed? My configuration is perfect right now (LAV and MadVR), so I'd hate to mess anything up.

Also, when the hell is MPC going to fix their broken audio renderer?

Just installed it, so far so good, no issues.

I can select the external LAV filters that I have installed in External Filters or the internal ones.

The catch though is that the internal filters will have to be updated when the software is updated. I think that's a minor downside, but the LAV filters are pretty stable.

I haven't had any issues with the internal audio renderer, but it should be gone if they've switched to LAV Audio filters which is included. You can always switch to an external one as well.

With the release of version 1.7.0, the internal filters have been replaced with LAV filters, which should make many [H]ard users happy:

http://mpc-hc.org/2013/09/29/1.7.0-released/

I recall there was some issue with 64-bit versions of MPC-HC so I was using the 32-bit version even though I have Win7 64-bit, but I no longer remember what that issue was. Does anyone know if that issue still relevant?

I've always used MPC-HC x64 without problems. You can always try the portable version, to see if it works as expected without corrupting your current install. Also, for those that don't know, the nightlies can be found at http://nightly.mpc-hc.org/ - the .7z are the portable versions. I've had good experience with the nightlies, everything usually works, even made a script that downloads and installs them to my PC every night.

If someone has a second, I was wondering what's superior about LAV? Seems to have about the same CPU usage, playback is perfect but was also on the pre-LAV versions.

Last edited:
There wasn't any issues, just that x64 wasn't anywhere near as optimized. as the x86 version and specific things like MadVR or other filters won't work.

As for LAV, it's a little more stable than the old codecs and has quicker updates. and arguably they have the best support for various forms of acceleration out currently.

I started using LAV because it seemed to have the least bloat to me and was easy to configure. Now, I depend on it because it's one of the (only?) filters that can decode HD audio formats once the proper .dll is in place.

I just tested 1.7 and it has more issues playing back .wtv files than I have with 1.68...

Back