MPAA Wants Advanced Anti-Piracy Measures At Theaters

What a way to alienate your paying customers. If this happens at a local theater, I won't go back. Ever.

It is very rare that we go to the movie theater anymore. We mainly do not go because there are very few movies that are produced that I can not wait to see in my own home. I have a 61" TV, Denon receiver with JBL speakers and a Polk sub, comfy seating, my own food, and the ability to watch it on my time.
Every once in a while there will be a movie that we are excited about and my wife and I will go out to see it in a theater just to do something "different". When we do, I sit there and can not stop thinking about how much better the image quality and sound is on my home setup.

I have 20 TB worth of cam footage on my computer. Sometimes I think to myself: "I really want to see a good movie", then a warm feeling washes over me as I remember that some cam footage with crackly sound and shaky footage is there waiting for me on my hard drive. I remember that this is the real stuff, it is nothing like netflix or blueray, i.e. a mere shadow of the real thing, rather it is the glorious and original experience that only happened in the theater all on my hard drives. And if it came from China, then it is even more special and dear to my heart.

Well, sir. Nothing beats authentic cam footage.

Why would anyone want to pirate the garbage movies they release? I've got a whole stack of movies people have given me for Christmas/birthdays over the years, and I haven't watched any of them.

This is for Pre-Release Screenings, you know where radio stations give out passes so you can stand in line for an hour outside the theater with a bunch of strange stinky coupon clipping weirdos to see a terrible move for free.

Shit, Steve01S4 is right. There isn't really anything to be pissed off about here. These are security procedures for pre-release showings.

Hell I don't really care anyway, I don't care if I never see a film at the theaters again. Netflix is enough and if there is a movie I really like I get the media when it releases in the store. The theaters can shrivel up and die for all I care, their days are done.

Why would anyone want to pirate the garbage movies they release? I've got a whole stack of movies people have given me for Christmas/birthdays over the years, and I haven't watched any of them.

That's good trade-in/cash-out material for Amazon & such. Unopened movies especially.

Every time I hear about a movie theater going out of business, I smile.

I can't wait for these motherfuckers to drown in their own excess.

Couldn't theaters pretty cheaply and easily foil cammers by having some IR LED arrays behind the screen to "blind" the image sensor?

People who think cam-releases is good enough to see their films is not a pirate problem. They would never ever in the first place pay for admission, DVD, BD or even cable in the first place. They would rather just keep gaming on their pirated games on their unlocked consoles. They should not be counted in any statistics that regards lost income at all.

Like others said this is only for pre-screening, not for normal shows that you actually pay for. A lot of this stuff is also not new.

I was an assistant manager at theater 8 years ago and most of this was standard, only thing I can think off the top of my head that is new is notifying the police, which I find pretty ridiculous. Anyway 8 years ago, checking bags and telling people they couldn't bring in bags was standard. They couldn't bring in cell phones either and were usually wanded at the door by security hired by the film distributors. These security also checked projector as well. $500 has also been the standard reward for any employee catching someone recording a film for a long time.

Who the fucks wants to purchase a shitty bootleg of a movie when the DVD is released 3 months later?

But smuggling drugs and carry illegal weapons inside bags is still ok right? :rolleyes:

Hey I just had a thought also - why don't movie theaters install infrared LED (high intensity) lights around and behind the screens? I notice on most modern digital cameras; you can use them to see if a LED on a remote control is working; maybe the same principle would apply here? Maybe that could be used to obscure the picture.

Having recently learned about the shocking situation with urban policing the the USA any politician that considers using police officers in theatres should be fired.

Out of a canon.

Into the sun.

You know... I could understand this level of paranoia for screeners. But for regular movie goers? Really? A freakin cam-in-a-theater recorded movie is not going to hurt your fucking sales you obnoxious tards. What the fuck?

My wife and I already don't go to the movies as is, keep on pushing your bullshit agenda MPAA and you won't see us in a theater again after the other Hobbit movies are released on Bluray/DVD.

They just keep driving away the remaining minority of the people that enjoy going to the theater. No thanks, I might see one movie every 3 years.

I don't watch crappy cams either. That horrendous quality gives me a headache.

Theaters would be awesome if nobody was allowed into the show except for me.

And this is why I wait 90 days to stream it off Vudu in my home theater.

RTMFA people...

When I went to Monster's University screening everyone with a cell phone was instructed to give it over, and they got a ticket in return (think: coat check), purses and bags were checked as well. Of course being on the VIP list I didn't have to do any of that, but still. This isn't about turning EVERY movie into an airport like screening. Even though, movie theaters are independent entities they don't belong to the MPAA or the public, so if a PRIVATE company wants to up it's security/screening procedures then so be it.

Preventing cam recordings isn't going to increase movie ticket sales. Someone had to say it.

RTMFA people...

When I went to Monster's University screening everyone with a cell phone was instructed to give it over, and they got a ticket in return (think: coat check), purses and bags were checked as well. Of course being on the VIP list I didn't have to do any of that, but still. This isn't about turning EVERY movie into an airport like screening. Even though, movie theaters are independent entities they don't belong to the MPAA or the public, so if a PRIVATE company wants to up it's security/screening procedures then so be it.

Read the article or the image or any of the post and not bitch about made up stuff? No no we can't have that.

I am going to join the making up stuff now.

I can't believe that the theater is going to stab you in the throat for talking during a movie. And all that is legal now. I can't believe that the governments of every single country just passed such a horrible law that makes it ok to stab people in the neck for talking during movies. I mean that is going to the extreme.

As if going to the movies didn't suck enough already, the MPAA wants to search your bags, use night vision goggles and have police on hand during the movie. :eek:

I thought this was outrageous, but the flyer seems to be for people going to early screenings, not going to a movie on opening weekend. I can count the number of times I've gone to those on one hand (and all were at a time when few had cell phones an none of those had cameras).

Perhaps but I quit going more because I don't want to see 4-5 trailers or an equal number of advertisements.

I get the advertisements, but trailers? I like trailers. I've been to a few movies over the years just to watch a trailer. EX: Waterboy to see and Wing Commander to see the SW TPM trailer and Meet the Robinsons: u23d.

So gazillions lost because someone took a shitty video from a cupholder. Dissect this logic ...they would be making much more money but people saw the "cupholder cam", complete with mono audio, babies crying, big hair do's and people getting up for popcorn and to take a piss.

So gazillions lost because someone took a shitty video from a cupholder. Dissect this logic ...they would be making much more money but people saw the "cupholder cam", complete with mono audio, babies crying, big hair do's and people getting up for popcorn and to take a piss.

You say that but I knew 2 people that bought every single new movie that came out on DVD from some guy (maybe the same guy) that sold them on a corner. They let family members borrow the movies. They did this as it only cost them $4 per DVD which is cheaper than the cost of a ticket and they could keep it. For a few movies they would maybe buy them when the DVD came out but normally they would just find those versions good enough. Only 1 thing stopped both of them from doing this, it wasn't the quality, it was the fact that they both passed away. They let a few people borrow these movies who were going to go see the movies but then decided to just save the money and watch the crappier version which was good enough for them.

Now I know this is only a few $$$ here and there from those that I know, but I am also going to assume that I don't know the only people in the world this applies too. So I don't see it being as crazy and you are making it out to be.

You say that but I knew 2 people that bought every single new movie that came out on DVD from some guy (maybe the same guy) that sold them on a corner. They let family members borrow the movies. They did this as it only cost them $4 per DVD which is cheaper than the cost of a ticket and they could keep it. For a few movies they would maybe buy them when the DVD came out but normally they would just find those versions good enough. Only 1 thing stopped both of them from doing this, it wasn't the quality, it was the fact that they both passed away. They let a few people borrow these movies who were going to go see the movies but then decided to just save the money and watch the crappier version which was good enough for them.

Now I know this is only a few $$$ here and there from those that I know, but I am also going to assume that I don't know the only people in the world this applies too. So I don't see it being as crazy and you are making it out to be.

I worked for a week on the island of Antigua. Every morning I passed by an SUV with the back open in the island capital, St. John. One day I looked inside out of curiosity. Entire back was filled with nothing but DVD duplicates. There was no one else to buy DVDs from on the island. Further he was parked across the street from the police station, and none of them cared.

Real pirates like him cost companies who choose to do the licensed dealer circle-jerk money. Coffee-cup cams, far less so.

Sadly, the only people hurt by these stupid RIAA/MPAA decisions are the low level employees of the facilities who're just doing their jobs when they get laid off.

I don't think there's any doubt that cam rips are impactful to revenue in some way. The question is simply: to what extent?

What a way to alienate your paying customers. If this happens at a local theater, I won't go back. Ever.

People rarely pay to see early screenings of movies. They're either part of a test screening or they won tickets in a contest or some other way. Read the jpg. It's in the red box in bold black letters

LOL this is hilarious. The MPAA is a real joke. They like to treat piracy like it's some huge problem that hurts everyone. It only (barely) hurts their own bottom line. It's the cost of doing business. The industry changes, you have to adapt.

Back