MPAA Now Using Private Investigators?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MPAA is using private investigators now? I wonder how much they spend every year on private investigators?

Just two days after the premiere of the Hollywood blockbuster ‘Gravity’ the studios have chalked up an anti-piracy win. After been spotted by private investigators hired by the MPAA, two men in their late forties were arrested by police Sunday after allegedly camming the movie at a theater in Michigan.

Wow, they caught some guys recording cam footage. So much amazing, such wow. Gravity would have failed had these perps not been stopped.

PI: Wait so you want to pay me to go watch movies and while I'm there keep an eye out for anyone trying to record the movie?

MPAA: Correct

PI: Beats the crap out of divorce cases. Can I expense popcorn?

PI: Wait so you want to pay me to go watch movies and while I'm there keep an eye out for anyone trying to record the movie?

This.

Heh

Wow, they caught some guys recording cam footage. So much amazing, such wow. Gravity would have failed had these perps not been stopped.
Pretty decent framing of how pathetic this whole copyright/piracy 'fight' has become.

Bunch of evil, hardened f'n criminals, I tells ya!

Pretty decent framing of how pathetic this whole copyright/piracy 'fight' has become.

Bunch of evil, hardened f'n criminals, I tells ya!

Well when you've already taken care of rape, murder, and meth, I guess movie camming is probably the biggest evil in the world.

Good, 1 less 'cam' version on the web to have to worry about accidentally downloading.. Who watches cam recordings anyway? All the negative aspects of watching a movie in a theater, without any of the positives....

Good, 1 less 'cam' version on the web to have to worry about accidentally downloading.. Who watches cam recordings anyway? All the negative aspects of watching a movie in a theater, without any of the positives....

Cam footage hasn't been a big thing since about 2004. Even then, it was easier to order some low bitrate VCD's from China.

Those 2 will probably get a harder punishment than crimes that matter.

No wonder movie prices are so high.. We have to foot the bill for all of this high cost, low reward crap. Well, at least people that go to over priced movie with over priced snacks.

Pst... Not much of a win, the movie is lets say... available now

"Gravity" just brought in record-breaking ticket sales, and the MPAA is spending money on private investigators to catch someone making a crappy cam copy.

Thanks, Chris Dodd. You're managing to make your Senate career look like a minor screwup by comparison.

Headlines a year from now: "MPAA hired mercenaries accidentally shoot a 65 yr old mistakenly though to have downloaded Jay-Z's latest album..." Just you wait!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

I went to a screening of Don Jon about a week before its full release, and they had dudes in the theater with nightvision goggles watching the audience to make sure no one was recording it. Somewhat unrelated, but interesting nonetheless.

That movie looks so fucking stupid.

Isn't it the highest rated movie ever created? I honestly don't know. I have not seen it nor have I seen trailers for it. The reviews paint it as one of those movies that will eventually make it to the hall of fame.

I went to a screening of Don Jon about a week before its full release, and they had dudes in the theater with nightvision goggles watching the audience to make sure no one was recording it. Somewhat unrelated, but interesting nonetheless.

*blinks*

One more reason to never go to a movie theater again. I love you, Netflix/Amazon Instant Video.

Bingo. How do I become one of these bastards? They get sweet gigs.

Headlines a year from now: "MPAA hired mercenaries accidentally shoot a 65 yr old mistakenly though to have downloaded Jay-Z's latest album..." Just you wait!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

How totally misinformed, you are! That would be the RIAA. Don't spread lies to sully a good name!

When I worked a movie theater, which now has been quite a few years ago but there was a standing $500 reward from studios/MPAA for any employee who caught someone camming.

Who gives a rats ass about camcorder recordings, they're shit. The good stuff is in the form of 1080p mkvs.

The MPAA is using private investigators now? I wonder how much they spend every year on private investigators?

I've never understood why anyone would watch a camcorder copy of a movie. If a movie is good enough to watch, it's good enough to go to the theater or wait for it on DVD/BD.

That said, have they gotten better with watermarks? I remember those orange splotches several years ago, but I don't recall seeing anything like that recently.

I'm with everyone else. I applaud the MPAA's efforts to insure only the highest quality releases hit trackers.

Fuck. I was going to sit my wife down for a torrented cam of this movie, but since I couldn't find one, I bought $40 worth of IMAX tickets and watched it that way instead.

I hope a cam copy pops up before I'm forced to buy it on blu ray.

When the bluray remux or clone comes out for Gravity, I will seed it with 50Mbps upload. And they will be powerless to stop me.

createcoms said:
When the bluray remux or clone comes out for Gravity, I will seed it with 50Mbps upload. And they will be powerless to stop me.
PXQT2Jj.gif

Other than you not wanting to pay for work other people created, what does this prove?

Chalk up a win for the mob! All right! Wait... What'd they win? That's like doing a massive PR stunt because they caught a couple people screen hopping (pay for one movie, when it's over go to another one). Whoopdedoo.

Sure, catch them because it screws up the experience for others, but don't make a huge deal out of it. Slap them with a fine and a do not return to the theater thing. That's it. The MPAA/RIAA helps create the laws so that it's a huge deal. Fuck, with the way they treat these 'criminals', I'd rather kill someone and face the consequences than pirate a movie and deal with the MPAA/RIAA.

Why the hell do people even cam? Much less download them, I just don't even.

Isn't it the highest rated movie ever created? I honestly don't know. I have not seen it nor have I seen trailers for it. The reviews paint it as one of those movies that will eventually make it to the hall of fame.

Such accolades should be reserved for truly great films like Tucker and Dale vs Evil or Idiocracy.

You're overpaid. Give me your shit or I will come and take it.

It's that attitude that the MPAA/RIAA has. That all of their customers are potential pirates. That really works to bring people to the cause. I buy a movie and I'm forced to watch a few minutes of anti-piracy notices and maybe a commercial. I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR THE MOVIE, yet I'm being told not to pirate it. I can pirate it and not get that message. Somehow, I think the MPAA is going after the wrong people.

I don't condone piracy. If you think it's a good movie, go check it out. If not, wait for the rental. For me, I've been burned on quite a few theatrical releases, so I rarely go. I see the big blockbusters or those that I really have an interest in (Man of Steel, huge Superman fan).But, for most other 'interesting' movies, I stay away until the Blu-ray release. So, they lost sales due to shit movies, not piracy. I think people should pay for what they watch or listen to.

The MPAA is overpaid for what they do. And if a studio doesn't pay the MPAA, they don't get the rating. They don't get the rating, they can't show in most theaters (otherwise the theater loses the MPAA releases). MPAA is a legal mafia. Intimidation, lawsuits, paying off politicians (or going from MPAA to politician) are all them. The studios, actors and other studio employees? They've earned the money. Sadly, they have to pay the MPAA for 'protection'.

It's that attitude that the MPAA/RIAA has. That all of their customers are potential pirates. That really works to bring people to the cause. I buy a movie and I'm forced to watch a few minutes of anti-piracy notices and maybe a commercial. I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR THE MOVIE, yet I'm being told not to pirate it. I can pirate it and not get that message. Somehow, I think the MPAA is going after the wrong people.

I don't condone piracy. If you think it's a good movie, go check it out. If not, wait for the rental. For me, I've been burned on quite a few theatrical releases, so I rarely go. I see the big blockbusters or those that I really have an interest in (Man of Steel, huge Superman fan).But, for most other 'interesting' movies, I stay away until the Blu-ray release. So, they lost sales due to shit movies, not piracy. I think people should pay for what they watch or listen to.

The MPAA is overpaid for what they do. And if a studio doesn't pay the MPAA, they don't get the rating. They don't get the rating, they can't show in most theaters (otherwise the theater loses the MPAA releases). MPAA is a legal mafia. Intimidation, lawsuits, paying off politicians (or going from MPAA to politician) are all them. The studios, actors and other studio employees? They've earned the money. Sadly, they have to pay the MPAA for 'protection'.

Losing money due to shit movies is the way the market corrects itself. Pirating things because "fuck that guy, he gets paid alot" is a really fucking dumb justification.

Losing money due to shit movies is the way the market corrects itself. Pirating things because "fuck that guy, he gets paid alot" is a really fucking dumb justification.

Yea, but what gets the blame on shitty movies? MPAA usually claims piracy. Some movies are so bad that even pirates won't download it. They still get blamed for 'poor sales'.

Back