MP3/WMA Catalogging & Reporting Software

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I've just spent the better part of 6 hours trying to find a program that will catalog my Music Files in folders on my hard drive.

I've tried literally dozens, and they all suck in one way or another, particularly reporting.

That's my ultimate goal here...

I want to be able to generate a nice Coffee-Table Book that has my CD collection in a nice, neat format.

Most of the programs I tried can catalog fine. NONE of them report worth a crap.

Most of them treat the music as FILES, not music. In other words, they are more directory printers showing path names, attributes, etc... I don't care about all that crap.

I want a nice, neat coffee-table book that, for example, shows:

The Artist Name
The Albums For that Artist.
The tracks for that album.

And I don't want out put that looks like:

Pink Floyd\Wish You Were Here\1 - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Pink Floyd\Wish You Were Here\2 - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd\Wish You Were Here\3 - Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt 2

etc...

That's just stupid, but it's how most of them tend to create reports!

People reading my coffee-table book won't care about directories.

What I would like is kinda like the artist/album list in MP11

Here's an example of what I would like:

Other

The Album covers are not mandatory, but would be nice.

There just has to be something out there that can do this, but I sure can't find a good one!

Free is good (as always), but if I have to I don't care if I have to pay for one that does everything I want and has extensive reporting capabilities.

Anyone familiar with DVDProfiler has a good idea of what I'm after here.

I do believe theres a program thats called something like MP3Monkey or something (will look link up after school if you haven't found it) but It might do what you want.

I believe you are speaking of MediaMonkey, which I have tried already.

Unfortunately it suffers from the same problem as the rest I've tried. It's 'reports' are nothing more than a track-by-track dump of the files. There is no real formatting by artist, and every single song is a line item.

For examle, for one album for, say, Aaron Neville, instead of listing Aaron Neville once, then the albums with the tracks, it lists Aaron Neville for every single track line item.

It's nothing more than an excel spreadsheet type of output.

I'm looking for something far more formatted than this.

Thanks though! Otherwise it looks like a strong program.

Ok, the best one I've been able to find is Music Express by Wizetech Software.

It has some canned reports, but also has a free-form report writer that should allow me to persoanally create exactly what I want.

It will take some time, but it looks like the best one.

It's $40, but if it gets the job done it's worth it to me.

Thanks!

I believe you are speaking of MediaMonkey, which I have tried already.

Unfortunately it suffers from the same problem as the rest I've tried. It's 'reports' are nothing more than a track-by-track dump of the files. There is no real formatting by artist, and every single song is a line item.

For examle, for one album for, say, Aaron Neville, instead of listing Aaron Neville once, then the albums with the tracks, it lists Aaron Neville for every single track line item.

It's nothing more than an excel spreadsheet type of output.

I'm looking for something far more formatted than this.

Thanks though! Otherwise it looks like a strong program.

Yeah that's it. Sorry it won't work for you, only thing I could think of

Back