MP3 Volume Leveling - I Need Help

Stroker

Limp Gawd
Im trying to make all of my music collection the same volume so I dont have to mess with the volume all the time. I wouldn't think this would be too hard but I can't find a program to do it. Im using winamp pro and I have sony soundforge 8.0 (although Im not experienced at all with it). Anyone know of a program that can do this for me?
thanks

Considering that most every new album from any artist on the planet released today is going to be damned close to maxing out the volume (meaning hitting that 100 dB or 0 dB depending on your POV), MP3Gain is perfect for such tasks.

The "industry standard" level of 89 dB is a long lost art it seems anymore. Grab some CDs recorded pre-1995 or so and convert some songs to MP3 format, then run them through MP3Gain and I'll bet you'll find most are at the 89 dB level or damned close to it. Then grab a CD post-1995 (any album, really, although hard rock and hip hop ones tend to be the most common perps) and you'll find peaks near 100 dB - it's just too damned loud anymore. People are going deaf because of this crap.

If the OP is concerned about leveling out his entire collection, MP3Gain can do that non-destructively - meaning it'll modify the MP3 files permanently to play at the levels he chooses to use (hopefully 89 dB or maybe 92 dB which is a bit louder while still not clipping too badly that you'd notice on most material). Anytime he decides to redo them, he can just run them through MP3Gain again and restore them back to whatever they were originally if he wants (and if he keeps a record of the original levels).

I have 45 DVDs full of my own hand-ripped and hand-tagged MP3 files from my own CD collection I've built over the years. They're all encoded with LAME 3.90 using VBR (--alt-preset standard) and they're all at 92 dB across the board. I pop in a DVD, point WinAMP to it, set the volume on the first song to my liking, and listen to hours upon hours of music and I never touch the volume again. Pretty nice thing if you ask me. :)

Just my $.02
bb

Back