• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mp3 player sound quality exposed

bunta

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
203
I just got a new mp3 player. The samsung YP-MT6 with 512mb. It is one of the smallest mp3 players i have ever seen. I think it is the smallest one made out there today. Anyways, i listen to a lot of mp3 and i love good sound quality music...Please do not tell me all Samsung mp3 players suck in terms of sound. Or is it true?

I thought the Shure e2c may help a little but man...the sound they produce is just downright crap!

All mp3 player out there are all about looks and they all lack the sound output quality whcih pisses me off. Now i am bashing all mp3 players, but is there an mp3 player out there that actually produces some good quality sounds??? No Ipods please. I hate ITunes.
 
The output from the Nomad Jukebox 3 and Rio Karma are quite decent. A headamp can help too. How are you making these mp3s?
 
GodsMadClown said:
The output from the Nomad Jukebox 3 and Rio Karma are quite decent. A headamp can help too. How are you making these mp3s?

Does it actually matter how i make these mp3? All my mp3 are at least 192 bitrate and they allll sound amazing on my Klipsch along with my M-audio revolution sound card of course. Maybe i am asking too much from mp3 players but technology is def. out there for better sound producing or do these companies just plainly disregard them ??

Are all Rio Karma's sound quality pretty much the same or is there a specific model i should be looking for? I like something small and under $150 pref.. I got mine $55 from ebay. I dont expect to be this lucky again but im willing to spend more to get something better.

One mp3 that is getting a lot of good reviews esspecially for its ability to produce sound at 24 bit is "Jens of Sweden"-mp-300. Its not available in the US though i dont think. But whatever..i jsut want something that sounds better.. This Samsung sounds like crap! and so does IPod!!!

*Edit*
Alright, you know what...I was a little harsh when i said the sound is absolutely crap. Its really not that bad. IPod is worse IMO. I dont know, maybe i am asking for too much from something this small.
 
bunta said:
Does it actually matter how i make these mp3?

Well, it was more of a side question. EAC + LAME is really the best way to get a decent quality mp3. I was trying to narrow down your problem, starting with the source material. The Rio Karma really comes in only one form, a 20 GB model with OGG and FLAC playback.

As another side note, OGG sound pretty damn good at low-mid bitrates. I've ABXed ~100 KB/s OGG against ~256 MP3, and found negligible difference on my (decent) headrig. My wife notices nothing.

Try to locate and audition a Karma.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108969
 
GodsMadClown said:
Well, it was more of a side question. EAC + LAME is really the best way to get a decent quality mp3. I was trying to narrow down your problem, starting with the source material. The Rio Karma really comes in only one form, a 20 GB model with OGG and FLAC playback.

As another side note, OGG sound pretty damn good at low-mid bitrates. I've ABXed ~100 KB/s OGG against ~256 MP3, and found negligible difference on my (decent) headrig. My wife notices nothing.

Try to locate and audition a Karma.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108969

Thats kinda out of price range. I dont really get into "audiophile" quality. My mp3s ranging from 128 bitrate to 320 to wav files all sound really good off my M-Audio sound card and my Klipsch. I am very happy with that.

Its the mp3 players that i am peeved about. Using my e2c earphones, they dont sound reeeally that bad after some getting used to but its just bleh if you know what i mean. There's like barely any base at all. I know its not the earphones cuz they thump when hooked up to my comp and the highs are clear. The e2c are pound for pound the best earphones i have ever owned. I'm actually ready to move up to e3c.
 
It sounds like the mp3 player is having a problem driving the headphones. Considdering it's size this makes sense. You could fix the problem either by replacing the mp3 player with one that has a better headphone out, or get a headphone amp.
 
The Creative Zen Xtra has one of the strongest and best headphone outs of any curretn generation MP3 player. I have a 30gb zen xtra myself, and it even powers my ER-4S fairly well, as there is not a huge difference from going from unamped to amped, though it is noticable. Just remember that you won't get sound quality that rivals or meets the M-Audio. My Xtra does not compare to my AV-710, but it seems slightly better than my Audigy2. Also, you noted that your mp3 player sounds better then the Ipod. The ipod is considered to have a fairly clean output, and the E2C are not very difficult to drive. You may need to lower your expectations a bit before being satisfied.
 
Back
Top