MP3 => OGG translater

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a translator for my MP3 files to get them into OGG format.

I know all about the details, and I'm not looking to get any of the better quality of OGG from these files, just get them into a format that my OGG player can read so that I can get away from MP3 entirely.

If there's not an app, I've been thinking about just using WinAmp's WAV file writer to write the files to WAV and then pipe that back into an OGG encoder.

Of course, easier ways are always nice, thus my post :)

You obviously know that you aren't going to be gaining quality, but you should also know you will be LOSING a lot of quality. Ogg and Mp3 work on totally different algorithms and systems, they work by taking aside different parts of data (frequencies you can't hear and such), but when you put them together you lose quality through the disadvantages of both encoding schemes.

Ever play broken telephone? Each carrier makes the original message worse.

Transcoding is not recommended as it results in significant losses of quality, as or_smth has already pointed out.
Rerip the music and encode it direclty into Vorbis or your music will sound worse than the (compressed) source.

Nonetheless, if you're sure you want to make your (decent sounding) mp3's into (nasty sounding) Vorbis files, dbpoweramp will probably do it for you.

edited names

if that's what I need to do then that's what I need to do. I was really trying to avoid it because I have well over 600 CDs and it took quite a while to rip them down to MP3 the first time...

Try ripping to a lossless format if you have the HDD space. "Transcoding" from lossless does not have the same problems as transcoding from a lossy source. Therefore, if you rip to FLAC or WAVpack or Monkey's, you will always have the full recording to encode into any lossless form you like, at a later date.
edited for spelling

Back