mp3 might be getting DRM

The news and soapbox forums are closed. BUT I am already replying so here is what I have to say. No matter what they try to do to lock down formats, it won't work. They can't just say, "Hey, look at all these people with mp3s. Let's lock them down." They can't retroactively add drm shit to mp3 files, so people will still have their thousands of illegal songs. If they release mp3 files with drm shit, then people will download the mp3s without drm shit. It is that simple. Why the fuck don't they understand that? Block one road and people WILL find another path.

I'm not sure you understand what he's saying. He's saying that--potentially--the PLAYER won't PLAY MP3s unless they have DRM "features". That means that MP3s WITHOUT DRM CANNOT BE PLAYED on these new MP3 players. In a way, you are right about one thing--existing players cannot retroactively be forced to adhere to these requirements by any means.

If it gets to the point of having mp3 players that will only play authorized, drmed mp3s, then whichever company comes out with an ogg vorbis player will strike it rich. You can't very well put restrictions on an open codec. We've all seen it. Shut down napster and we get audiogalazy, kazaa, morpheus, and a load of others. I think they will settle in to an acceptable pay system in a few years, though. I can see it happening through legislation and trickery. Get people used to some new player or something and then BAM legislate some drm into it so it will only play their authorized stuff. Allow free authorized music at first, but then slowly start charging for it. Just like cooking a frog. Drop him in boiling water and he freaks out and obviously tries to escape. That's exactly what people do now whenever someone says DRM. However, drop him in cool water and bring it up to a boil and he has no idea he is being cooked. Oh I can definately see it coming. And we won't be any better off than we are now. If only they would stop treating their paying customers less like criminals and more like customers.

And we won't be any better off than we are now. If only they would stop treating their paying customers less like criminals and more like customers.

It's like everything else, anyway to make a buck and screw to population. Assuming that they do this, the market will drop off for portables.

Also, there are already a few units that will play Ogg formats. Neuros Audio , The Rio Karma. Both 20gb.

I don't see how they can possibly enforce this. I'm certain there will be some companies that just ignore the recording industry and produce MP3 players that do not require DRM. Every company making any kind of mp3 or music player knows that this will only decrease sales.

buy a cd' player and cut your own cd's, or a minidisk and have longplay if you like the secerly chopped tunes.... well watever, they wont do it, there are plenty of good underground software writers that will enable the removel of the codes as well as software hacks and such for disabling that shit.

This whole "downloading mp3s" thing sure as hell better not be the future of audio distribution, because I will be inconceivably pissed if it is. Yet MiniDiscs didn't take off, so what alternative do they have besides going to DRM mp3s? And I doubt you'll have the choice to just not use the DRM either, because by that time TCPA should be in full effect.

I hate how the distribution of music is consistently seen only in the perspective of commercial oppurtunity. It degrades the music.

Originally posted by finalgt
Yet MiniDiscs didn't take off
Not in the U.S. it didn't. In Japan it's still huge, and that's a serious market.

Originally posted by finalgt

I hate how the distribution of music is consistently seen only in the perspective of commercial oppurtunity. It degrades the music.

Bah. Making money is how people put bread on the table and a roof over their heads. I hate how all the current schemes of online music distribution are in lossy formats with DRM, yet an albumn's worth of songs still cost aproximately the same. Why should I pay about the same for worse-sounding, more restrictive music? I'll just go to the stor and get a CD, thanks... Or to my local library.

This whole "downloading mp3s" thing sure as hell better not be the future of audio distribution, because I will be inconceivably pissed if it is. Yet MiniDiscs didn't take off, so what alternative do they have besides going to DRM mp3s? And I doubt you'll have the choice to just not use the DRM either, because by that time TCPA should be in full effect.

Bah. Making money is how people put bread on the table and a roof over their heads. I hate how all the current schemes of online music distribution are in lossy formats with DRM, yet an albumn's worth of songs still cost aproximately the same. Why should I pay about the same for worse-sounding, more restrictive music? I'll just go to the stor and get a CD, thanks... Or to my local library.
No worries, SACD baby.

And if I care enough to download the songs, it’s enough to justify me to buy the CD for the nice packaging and perfect and FULL quality.

Pepsi commercial Girl-
“I’m still downloading and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.”

If I ever see this girl her legs are going to have a nice meeting with “Good o’bluey” (Bart Simpson)

I wonder how much money they've already wasted "trying" to stop it. More people are downloading mp3s now because of the riaa. Right after napster died I had trouble finding mp3s then on the news they where talking about other p2p programs that people still used and thats how I found kazaa. Like jpmkm said close one path and another will open.

Originally posted by PoorGuyInNeed
You people talk as if you think songs should be legal to download for free.

when they're shitty music it needs to be. barring the retarded teenagers, music sales are down mainly on account of the shit for music. i don't mind paying for a good whole ALBUM.

I use mp3s to find out about bands I've never heard of, and decide from there if I want to buy the CD or not. There -are- people who download mp3s who have ethics...I own something to the tune of 150 or 160 CDs, all purchased within the past 10 years, and I buy new albums at an average rate of about 2 per month. So yeah, I think it should be legal to download music, because people will always do it anyway; even if they make it legal, there will be plenty of us who will still buy CDs. It just looks way too ghettofab to say that you "love" a band, and then whip out a CD-R of their album (A Memorex CD-R, not even the good stuff. Cheap bastard).

Well might as well just make all software legal to download it for free, because people will do it anyways. Might as well go all the way and get rid of all copyright laws. Also they should make weed and coke legal too, because "people will do it anyways." Don't forget about murder and rape, all should be legal. And if you're buying CD's just not to look ghetto, don't. You're missing the whole point of it.
, because people will always do it anyway

Back