MP3 collection management

UnlnvlslblE

Limp Gawd
Well I searched around and didn't find anything useful. My questions is: does anyone know of a powerful MP3 management program? I've got 40,000+ songs I need to keep track of. I use a program to weed out the duplicates, but I haven't really found any players or database programs that can handle this amount of music. I have been just using winamp to play them and generating a HTML list to search for songs. It would be nice if there was something more powerful. Any ideas? I really don't want to use iTunes, I know lots of people have a hard on for it, but I don't like it.

foobar 2000 is pretty much what your looking for. Its customizable from the inside out. It may not be the easiest program to setup, but if your writing programs for your winamp then this should be a breeze.

discochan said:
foobar 2000 is pretty much what your looking for. Its customizable from the inside out. It may not be the easiest program to setup, but if your writing programs for your winamp then this should be a breeze.
QFT, I use it and its great. Highly customizable and can be configure to look look like winamp if you wish. You probably want to check out http://shsc.info/foobar2000 as a beginning guide to foobar2k

You could try MediaMonkey. It's a lot easier for beginners than Foobar2000, I thought. Finds duplicates, can rename files based on tags, move or copy files to a directory structure based on tag (.\<Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>.mp3), supports most portable devices, synchronisation, and integrates seamlessly with Winamp 2 and 5. Also has this awesome "Party Mode" where you can play songs, skip, rewind, fast forward, etc, but cant access any other part of the computer without a password. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the foobar program. It seems to work pretty well. I am having a little trouble getting some of the tags updated, but I think that's my own fault. I like all the customizations you can make to it and the database it builds for you is also quite nice. I haven't gotten extremely deep into the program yet, but I'm betting its even better than I think. I wish it was open source, but hey its free anyways. Anyone have tips or enhancements that made it work better for them? I'd like to hear any ways to make it even better. Thanks.

I just throw all my MP3s into one directory.

I use MediaMonkey. You can even synch it to your MP3 player.

I use dr tag for tag/rename management.
As far as actual file management...
I have about 400gb, so it tends to be a chore.
Full albums go into a CD directory, sorted by username.
Singles are sorted into Genre.

All computers access the music through a mapped M: drive.
So if you are looking for a song, you just search M: before hitting allofmp3.com.

It's worked pretty well for me so far since most of my music is in whole CD's.

SInce I am the only person with an ipod, I use itunes for that.
For everyone else, they just copy mp3's to thier player.

ooo, this is good to know as i have 100gb+ of music and a few thousand songs need to be retagged.

Just to add another option.

Jriver's Mediacenter. Not free but has a free trial. I use to use foobar (had it customised rather well too), I tried Media Monkey and that is a fine application. However I went with Media Center because it just worked best for me. Integrates with an iPod I felt better than the other options and had a cleaner interface than Media Monkey. Foobar is a bit of a pain to get to work with an iPod, but for pure music player abilities it is probably the best app out there at a great price (free).

Back