Mozart TX - a value in disguise!

SpasticTeapot

Limp Gawd
The Mozart TX is, at first glance, a white elephant. It's as big as a refridgerator, even more obsequious, and costs nearly $200 - a hefty sum even for a top-model Antec or Lian-Li.

Of course, phase-change enthusiasts will love it - the fact that it's similar in size and shape to a refridgerator is very convenient. It's also a very nice case for a file server - it's got room for a dozen hard drives, about four power supplies, and you can just put a monitor on top - no mucking about with slide-out rackmount monitors!

However, it appears to be useless as a HTPC. It's big, shiny, and impossible to miss - and, like your Uncle Harold's chromed dome, your guests are not obligated to avert their eyes.

But the Mozart is, in its own way, even less obtrusive than a shuttle - it can hide in plain sight!

For example, if you're careful not to obstruct air intake/output ports. you can cover it with a tablecloth and use it as an end table. You can use it as a TV stand, too - it's sturdy enough to hold most LCD TVs, or so I've heard, and in a dim room one is likely to assume that it's actually a giant stack of stereo equipment.

Furthermore, it's invaluable in case of a terrorist take-over or hostage situation - the non-windowed case is large enough that some of the more svelte Hardforum members could easily fit between the powr supply and second bank of hard drives in case of emergency.

This thread is useless without pics? ^^

Or am i just too lazy.

Ps. Want proof about the last comment...the [H] member in a can :D

Lone

The case is a horrible layout and horrible design if you are doing anything other than watercooling or phasechanging.

For these reasons:

Dual motherboard chambers: ITX board? Common, they could have place a full sized atx on the back for a dual mobo layout, it's been done before with real server cases.

Single PSU? No where can you fit 4 PSU's in this case without extensive modding, even the large server cases at least have two. For such a big case, it should have at least accomodated two PSU's.

Only 12 hard drives? I've got 30 in my cube case as we speak. 12 harddrives is pathetic for such a massive case. Heck you can put 12 hard drives in a cheap codegen mid tower case (I fitted 14 in a cheap codegen case with no modding, but then you sacrafice the floppy and optical drive).

Back