• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Moving Windows to Another hard drive

Jnox

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
276
I need some help. For the past few days I have been trying to move my windows partition to a new hard drive. I have tried xcopy as well as ghost. Both do make exact copies of windows, but I am having problems booting up from my new hard drive.

First of all, when I disconnect my old hard drive and leave the new one in...... it takes a long time to detect it. I dont know why, I have to wait two minutes everytime I restart. Thats not all of it. It doesnt boot into windows at all. it just says, boot failure.

I thought I might have to reset the mbr. I used old dos, to go into fdisk /mbr. It didnt work also.

Right now I am pretty much clue less. I'm starting to think it's the hard drive self. I hope thats not the problem since when I put my old hard drive back it, the computer boots up normally with out any problems.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Jack
 
Oh yeah, I have also tried botting off of win xp cd, in hope I can repair the windows installation. Aside taking forever to get to that point, it tells me that no hard disk has been detected! hmmmmmm
 
Problem solved!

I finally figured it out.

To anyone that has the same issue..... for some reason when I set my hard drive to master (the way it supposed to be) it doesnt work.

Just to try out, I put the jumper setting to cable select.... the computer boots up fine!

Jack
 
Back
Top