Moving windows(from drive to drive)

PsychoTanK

n00b
I have two hard drives in my system and have windows xp sp2 on the smaller one and I want to move it on to the other bigger hard drive. Is there a way to move windows to the new bigger hard drive and change all the connections to the drive?

Yes there are a number of tools out there. Some free and others not... here's a short list

Ultimate Boot CD
Awesome and free. Will allow you to copy and destroy your disks with ease so spend sometime reading about the tools before use.

Acronis True Image
Awesome and not free. Easy to use and can be used as a backup solution as well.

Seagate DiscWizard
If you have a Seagate drive.

You can also check other HD manufactures sites. They often have tools just for this purpose.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of the larger drive (the one you want to be the new home for your XP installation) and download their hard drive software/tools. Most of them include a utility to do a "drive to drive" or "drive copy" operation used for that purpose: to move the contents of one hard drive, usually an older one, to a newer drive that offers better performance.

If the newer drive (the target for the installation) happens to be from Seagate or Maxtor, you're in good luck because the latest versions of their software includes a limited version of Acronis True Image which is a perfect way to do a drive copy from one to the other.

Hope this helps...

ps
You can't do the installation transfer without some form of third party software - just doing a file copy or xcopy simply isn't workable. You have to transfer the contents of original drive totally, bit for bit, which includes the partition structure and Master Boot Record also. True Image and other software for drive copying operations take care of all of that stuff for you.

That was a huge help! I used the Acronis disk migrate easy 7.0 trial verison and it worked perfectly. I haven't taken out the old drive but every file was moved includeding all of the windows xp files. Thanks.

Segate's Disk Wizard wouldn't work for me when I added a bigger Segate drive. I ended up keeping windows as it was on my mian segate drive and using the bigger one as a D drive.

Back