Moving WC PC Long distance

traderj

Limp Gawd
I might be moving a long distance in the next month or two. Right now I have a water cooled system with a XSPC dual bay reservoir. All fittings are compression.

What would be the best way to transport it the 1200 miles? I have the original box for the case and it will be used during transporting.

might be a good idea to drain it, I know my shampoo bottles pop open and puke shampoo all over when I go over mountain passes

Yup, drain it. No sence moving the extra weight. Make sure every thing is held down securely, any thing held down by screws should be double checked, if your cards are held in by plastic clips and can be replaced by screws, do so. If your cooler is held down by plastic clips ( am2-3) cut and wedge a piece of Styrofoam between your CPU cooler and case door. This is done so that if it pops loose it can't flop around in your case. It really sucks to find a damaged vid card because the CPU cooler popped off and slammed around the inside of the case. I have seen sata connectors broken by this as well. On the same note if you can't replace plastic card holders, use Styrofoam for that as well... ( in my case, I had a yy cube case, which I stuffed with pillows, my res broke loose but didn't go anywhere)

Basically make sure it can't move around, and you'll be good.

Up next, transporting monitors :p

Id drain it and remove the gpus, or pack the whole inside of the case with foam or peanuts. gpus are heavy and prone to damage of themselves or the pci slots during moving, especially with some waterblocks on them

Yeah, I would agree with that. Modern GPUs have severely outgrown the old ATX spec for securing them...an 11 inch card held by its slot and 1 or 2 screws at one end...crazy

drain it and pull gpus and then put them in a antistatic bag and box them. if you have a bunch of hdd you might want to do the same thing pull them and put then in a antistatic bag and box them so they dont get shaken up too much. also tape up all lose psu connectors so they dont bang in to your mb and waht not . every thing else should be ok to just leave in the psu ram and cpu and dvd drives and what not.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Modern GPUs have severely outgrown the old ATX spec for securing them...an 11 inch card held by its slot and 1 or 2 screws at one end...crazy

...with 5 pounds of components and copper strapped to it.

Up next, transporting monitors :p

Good thing I keep all my original boxes for stuff like that.

I will probably drain it of most of the water. At least out of the Res. Weight really doesn't concern me. It only has about a half gallon of water in it. But I don't want it to have a chance of popping under the altitude changes.

I really don't want to have to take the loop apart so I'm thinking of going with the foam peanut idea. There would be no adverse affects to stuffing the interior of the case with peanuts right?

Good thing I keep all my original boxes for stuff like that.

I will probably drain it of most of the water. At least out of the Res. Weight really doesn't concern me. It only has about a half gallon of water in it. But I don't want it to have a chance of popping under the altitude changes.

I really don't want to have to take the loop apart so I'm thinking of going with the foam peanut idea. There would be no adverse affects to stuffing the interior of the case with peanuts right?

If you have a choice, transport the box on its side, since you're draining anyway. Keeps 5lb GPUs from trying to snap off PCIe connectors due to gravity and bumps.

You know I never thought about it,but Styrofoam, peanuts and the like, could esd your shit. I'm thinking pillows, or pillow cases filled with peanuts. Like I said, I didn't have any issues. But who knows. And yeah some drainage of the system would be wise and if you have some way to leave it uncapped, it will keep it from blowing off/bursting a hose

Back