Moving Vista and XP from 2 Hard Drives to One

v1nce

n00b
I have Vista x64 installed on one drive and XP on another. I want to move them both to a single new hard drive and dualboot them. What is the easiest way to go about this?

You'll need to use a drive imaging program to get them there, and then another third party utility to handle the boot loading. If it was me, I'd just move Vista over, and then run XP in a VM. It's much simpler and easier on the boot system.

If you want to dual-boot, you should make 2 partitions, install XP first, then Vista. Each OS will see "its" parition as the C: drive and the other as D:, so you may want to make a neutral third partition "E:" to install apps on so they can have a common location. Otherwise some apps will think they were installed in C:\program files, but now they are in D:\program files when you run them from the other OS.

Its vastly easier if you dont 'move' them and instead just reinstall them. And if this all sounds like a pain in the ass, it is. Strongly consider if you still need XP, or if you could just virtualize it for the few times you use it (<--do this).

I am trying to not have to reinstall my Vista and XP and have used programs like Ghost, Partition Magic and GParted before so I will now attempt try to move them after my new HD arrives.

Back