Moving To Win7 64 - Drivers?

PainInverter

Limp Gawd
Finally moving to Win7 64bit on my main rig, but just had a question about drivers.

What drivers exactly do I need?

On their site, there are only two drivers under Win7 64bit available that I can see I would even need: audio and SATA (if I do need the SATA drivers, not even sure).

Nothing for the chipset, ethernet, miniport drivers etc. ...so do they not require/have 64bit versions?
Can I just use what is on the mobo disc for all of that, then?

Anything I'm missing, or don't need specifically?

I just need what comes on the mobo disc, just the basics, but for 64bit. I don't use any of the AI Suite, PC Probe stuff etc. and don't run in RAID.

Some people have said they've used Vista drivers that have worked fine, but since I'm not even sure exactly what I need in 64bit versions, I don't know that there's anything even "missing" from the list of downloads for my mobo on their site.

I know Win7 searches for and finds most drivers you need automatically, but in the event that it doesn't for some reason, I have to know what I'm looking for, so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A lot of sites give out driver updates even for devices like Audio, Lan, Sata, etc., even if you don't need them. The reason is some people need the newer drivers to fix bugs and so forth. In my experience, generally the drivers you download, specifically controller/sata, will give you a ever so slight hit to performance benchmark wise, but generally nothing you will ever see in real life.

Basically with Vista and 7, you install the OS. Once your at the desktop, check the device manager. Anything marked with a yellow dot needs a driver, which will probably be very little to nothing. You should be able to tell what it is based on what's installed and what you know you're missing. If you need further help, use http://www.pcidatabase.com/ to find what the device is your looking for.

Once your sure everything is installed, update your GPU drivers, which really are the only drivers you want a current version on. Everything else is better performance wise with the provided driver in most cases (they are lighter, no gui's/control panels).

A lot of sites give out driver updates even for devices like Audio, Lan, Sata, etc., even if you don't need them. The reason is some people need the newer drivers to fix bugs and so forth. In my experience, generally the drivers you download, specifically controller/sata, will give you a ever so slight hit to performance benchmark wise, but generally nothing you will ever see in real life.

Basically with Vista and 7, you install the OS. Once your at the desktop, check the device manager. Anything marked with a yellow dot needs a driver, which will probably be very little to nothing. You should be able to tell what it is based on what's installed and what you know you're missing. If you need further help, use http://www.pcidatabase.com/ to find what the device is your looking for.

Once your sure everything is installed, update your GPU drivers, which really are the only drivers you want a current version on. Everything else is better performance wise with the provided driver in most cases (they are lighter, no gui's/control panels).

OK, that sounds easy enough, thanks for the feedback!

However, do I actually need a 64bit version of the chipset (perhaps the most important) driver? That's not even something I can find, so perhaps there isn't one available (if even needed)?

If I do, how would I know by looking in the Device Manager?

Thanks again.

Yes you will need 64bit chipset drivers. You're motherboard manufacturer should have them on their site.

Even chip set drivers are provided with Windows Vista/7.

You use the pci site by checking the properties of the device marked with a yellow tab, then check properties, details, then device instance ID, then look at DEV_XXXX&VEN_XXXX. Type in the numbers where the XXXX's are in the site.

Without knowing your hardware, it is a little hard to give detailed answers. Some drivers you don't need, as they will be provided by Windows 7. I always like to update them with the latest from the manufacturer anyway. For example, Intel's chipset drivers are included, but if there are newer ones from Intel, I'll install them anyway. You'll definitely want graphics drivers from the manufacturer as well. For audio, if Windows detects and loads them...I'll use them. If not, I'll load the ones from the mobo manufacturer. Aside from that, you'll want to have your Ethernet drivers on a flash drive anyway, in case they aren't detected...you won't be able to get out to download them.

To be safe, I always download the latest drivers for my hardware and keep them on a flash drive when I need to install/reinstall.

just install windows 7 and i am going to bet %99 of your hardware will have drivers installed for it.

Actually my tip to the user would be when you get to your desktop, run Windows Update a couple times, THEN you check and see if you need drivers in your Device Manager.

A lot of drivers are detected and readily available through Windows Update. You may not even need to find a driver.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Problem is, ASUS does not have 64bit chipset drivers for my mobo on their site. No idea why.

Goggling for them also lead me to nothing.

Just in the event that Win7 does not find it, any idea where I could find them? Mobo is ASUS Rampage Formula.

Without actually having the drivers to dl and put aside (as suggested, which I've already done with the other drivers for audio, GPU etc.) for the mobo, I really don't feel "safe" in moving to Win7, in the event that I end up w/o the 64bit mobo drivers.

Still looking now, but I'm not finding it anywhere.

I don't know how you could google this and not find the answer, but who knows. It's an Intel chipset, right? Why wouldn't you go straight to Intel for them? In fact, don't bother going to Asus's site anyway...just get the latest and greatest right from the source!

In the event you choose not to go to Intel's site, Majorgeeks.com has a drivers section that it updated with the latest drivers for many common hardware devices.

I don't know how you could google this and not find the answer, but who knows. It's an Intel chipset, right? Why wouldn't you go straight to Intel for them? In fact, don't bother going to Asus's site anyway...just get the latest and greatest right from the source!

In the event you choose not to go to Intel's site, Majorgeeks.com has a drivers section that it updated with the latest drivers for many common hardware devices.

Couldn't tell ya, but I'm finding nothing. Not everything in the world can be found via Google, and I've been looking for the chipset driver for two days now.

Intel's site has a dl for the INF update, but I'm not sure if that's what I need or if my mobo even falls under any of those categories (mobo is 775 chipset). I know the INF is extremely important.

I'll try Majorgeeks... totally forgot about 'em.
Edit: nothing on Majorgeeks.

If you couldn't find the chipset drivers on Intel's site, so be it...but how did you miss them on MajorGeeks? They are called the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Intel_Chipset_Software_Installation_Utility_d1667.html

I'm not saying this to be an ass, but maybe you should post all of your hardware so we can make sure you have the right drivers ready to go before you proceed. You are right the chipset drivers are very important....but if you missed them, who knows what else you are missing. List your specs out like a checklist, and let's make sure you are all covered.

Personally I would just image your drive and then take the plunge and see how Win7 fares. If you don't like it or if your computers not supported (which is highly unlikely if you have a 64-bit proc and motherboard), then you can restore your image. No harm, no foul. You just lose a couple hours of your time.

Back