Moving to Vista the end of XP apps?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Will Vista have a compatibility wizard like XP, or will my software and games be rendered useless?

I'm a little concerned since I've gotten comfortable with what I use for XP. Is Vista a start-over situation?

It's a good question since we all know how it went with XP in the beginning.

I would suggest to first tryout windows Vista in a multiboot situation like I am planning, if you can get your hands on Vista in the first place.

Not much is known now about Vista since it's not yet widespread.

There is suggested (also by me) that we would have the same trip again with a lot of updates but we can't be sure about that since Vista is build with more (Maybe too much?) protection on the Admin and Lisence part which could be a drag in the end anywayz but frankly...we don't know.

For myslef I am running a modfied XP version which rides like the wind and just am very curious about Vista so will try it in multiboot if I can get my hands on a Vista version which I havn't yet.

Report back if I have.

You could always just continue using XP.

Vista is a big change, and many apps and games may have unexpected issues under it. If you use apps that you are concerned about with regards to compability with Vista, simply continue using XP. I plan to use XP until I feel that Vista is preferable, which won't be anytime soon.

Yes it has a comp wizard. Says it goes back all the way to Win95 but I doubt it lol

EDIT: As far as games go, I've noticed lower framerates than what I got on Win2k which I had on here prior to installing. Thats most likely a driver issue as Nvidia is still working on their drivers. Other apps should run fine cept for maybe security software which ppl are still working on. Because of the UAC, AVG Free doesn't start up correctly so I have to manually turn it on.

EDIT2: Just tried NOD32 on here and it works without issue. Just had to clear it thru the firewall to update it.

You could always just continue using XP.

Vista is a big change, and many apps and games may have unexpected issues under it. If you use apps that you are concerned about with regards to compability with Vista, simply continue using XP. I plan to use XP until I feel that Vista is preferable, which won't be anytime soon.

I agree: if your stuff works in XP, don't bother moving to Vista. Its ONLY selling point right now is DX10, which also has no game support at present and won't help you in pretty much anything else.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So far all my apps have worked in vista RC1 using the compatibility wizard

So far all my apps have worked in vista RC1 using the compatibility wizard

Me too, but I don't really play games. Everyting else works fine, with the exception of UltraMon, which works, it just doesn't mimic Aero very well with the second taskbar.

Back