Moving to Nikon...

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Just jumped ship to the Nikon D810 - first ever Nikon. I just got it today but my 14-24 won't be in until tomorrow - torture. Reading through the owners manual tonight.

I have listed several of my remaining lenses up on the forums if anyone is interested.

Canon 85L II
Canon 24-70L II
Canon 100L

Also, still have some lightly used Profoto equipment:

Profoto e-TTL Remote & (2) Profoto B1

Welcome to the other dark side ;)

14-24 is a beast. My second most used lens. Using filters with it is a bit tricky, but not impossible. Just a bit more expensive I guess. Have fun with it!

Thanks! Been dreaming of this lens for years now so it was my first purchase. What do you think of the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 VR II? Waiting for the rest of my Canon gears to sell so I have a little time for more research.

Last edited:
Both great. I really wish I had more use for the 70-200II as it sits in my backpack for way too often, but when I do get to use it... I love it. The bokeh it creates is absolutely amazing. Tack sharp wide open, versatile. But it's not a true 70-200... it's more of a 80-185. Outside of that shortened range, I've got nothing but good things to say about the lens.

24-70 was my workhorse at one point. Still use it whenever I need a medium range. Lack of VR doesn't bother me one bit. However, the build quality of this lens leaves a lot to be desired, compared with the other 2.8 zooms. The rubber zoom-ring likes to come loose, which is not something I'd expect from a costly lens like this. Still, it comes in handy anytime my favorite lens won't do the job...

... which is 85.1.4G. That lens alone pretty much replaced both of those lenses for me. I was never too big on using primes, but wanted something fast after purchasing the 2.8 zooms. Didn't like the 50mm offerings from Nikon at the time, so I went with 85mm instead. Love at first sight, pretty much. If it wasn't for the 14-24, I might as well have that lens glued to my camera. It made me rethink my shooting style, and I'm now lusting after other prime lenses, notably the 58/1.4.

If the 24-70 and 70-200 are what you're after next, I suggest getting the 70-200 first. Dunno where you live, but if anywhere near Chicago, we can meet up and you can try all the lenses.

Definitely will be picking up the 70-200 next. I had been primarily using the Canon 70-200 right up until I decided to jump ship. What do you think about the Nikon 1.4 teleconverters?

Never gave much thought to Sigma or Tamron (24-70 has IS) - ever tried them? I've always stuck with Canon, or now Nikon.

Appreciate the offer to meet up, wish we could! I'm in western KY though - just a little too far.

... I really wish I had more use for the 70-200II as it sits in my backpack for way too often, but when I do get to use it... I love it. The bokeh it creates is absolutely amazing. Tack sharp wide open, versatile. But it's not a true 70-200... it's more of a 80-185. Outside of that shortened range, I've got nothing but good things to say about the lens...

The actual focal length of the VRII is 70-192mm, not 80-185mm. Read Thom Hogan's article: http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm ;)

Definitely will be picking up the 70-200 next. I had been primarily using the Canon 70-200 right up until I decided to jump ship. What do you think about the Nikon 1.4 teleconverters?

Never gave much thought to Sigma or Tamron (24-70 has IS) - ever tried them? I've always stuck with Canon, or now Nikon.

Appreciate the offer to meet up, wish we could! I'm in western KY though - just a little too far.
Never used a TC. Any time I needed more reach I grabbed either the 200-400 or the 500 prime (both rentals of course :p) But I hear nothing but good things about the recent TC's.

I've never considered any third party lenses. A friend of mine had a Sigma 70-200, and it was awful.

I have a golden ticket to Maker's Mark distillery in Loretto, KY (my barrel just got opened) I'd like to head over that way... soon. If it isn't too far out from you, and you'll have a free afternoon... we might be able to do something together. I'll keep you posted.

The actual focal length of the VRII is 70-192mm, not 80-185mm. Read Thom Hogan's article: http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm ;)
Interesting. I wasn't totally wrong, but I guess trying to measure the actual range of the lens just by squinting my eyes is a bit less precise ;)

Sounds good! The tours of the distilleries make for some really cool shots. Toured the Woodford Reserve distillery, unfortunately lost those shots in a HDD crash though.

Back