Moving to Gigabit network

Swishbish33

Limp Gawd
I'm going to move my network to a gigabit network, but I want to make sure I have this straight before I spend any money. I have my laptop, my desktop, and a file server all hooked through an old D-Link 4-port 10/100 wireless router (yeah, not the greatest, but it was free). I want to maintain the wireless access so I can use the laptop around the house.

To hook this up, I would need to buy a gigabit switch, correct? Do I hook the wireless router into a port on the switch in order to still use it to assign IPs to my machines, as well as hooking my machines into the switch?

Thanks guys!

Yes, you need the connect the router to the switch if you do not intend to replace it with an ipcop box or similar. My gigabit network is an ipcop box w/ 2 Intel GigE NICs hooked up to a GigE switch, and a wireless router running as an AP connected to that. In your case, it should be as simple as connect switch to router, and connect devices to switch...I'm ~75% sure that means you get gigabit speeds, but I wouldn't mind some clarification on this either. I just went all gigabit to be safe.

Your network still wouldnt be considered as gigabit unless everything is rated as gigabit. But in between the pcs you should get gigabit speeds, asuming that your cables and jacks are rated for it as well. Cat5E minimum.

Back